Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What qualifies one to get assistance from the state? How broke do you have to be?

Just curious....

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 6:21 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

Answers (12)
  • Depends on the state, there's no general rule

    Answer by NotPanicking at 6:24 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

  • Call 211 from a home phone and they can help ya

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:43 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

  • Go to DSS or you can even look it up on the web.

    Answer by diamondmamma at 6:55 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

  • Look it up on the web for your state, it will tell you.


    Answer by BEXi at 7:14 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

  • Pretty darn broke! I was struggling to support a family of 4 on my pay and with BASICS I was barely making it (and that was only paying a few bills and then the next month paying the in a rotation) and I still didn't qualify for any kind of aide. For what I made per hour (for the year total) I would have to be supporting a family of 10!!!!!! in order to qualify for help. Just to let you know...I was/am under $40k/year in the state of California (and we know how expensive crap is out here!)

    Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 7:25 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

  • Google it? :)

    Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 8:48 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

  • i know in OK for a family of 3 if you make less than $32,000 a year you can get WIC...but thats all i know.

    Answer by okmanders at 9:11 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

  • Really broke im in CA and I get assistant I make less than $800 a month and I have one child but we don't get that much, I think were on the borderline between qualifiing and not qualifying

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:51 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

  • It is a certain percentage of the poverty level and how many kids you have. I think it also varies state to state. Call your welfare office and ask them.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:35 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

  • Let me answer this one for ya. I live in the great state of NY. I am a single mom of three children. I get $25 a month for support for one child and $12 a week (sometimes) for the other, court ordered. In addition I receive a $473 month social security dependent benefit for one of the children. Last summer I lost my okay paying ($14 an hour) civil service job. Even with the loss of that income, I was able to survive on my $264 a week unemployment check, and pay my bills and keep up. This past February my back became so bad that I had major surgery where two discs were removed and replaced. I am still recovering on major pain meds, therapy, and rest. Now I'm not considered able to work, so bye bye unemployment check. I had to suck it up and apply for cash assistance. So I barely have $600 a month of income, what do I get for a family of four? $170 every two weeks!!! My rent is $650 a month so you do the math!

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.