My son is in a GT K class. He has been making good grades up til now. Now the teacher has to make him do his work at recess or in another class. He has no concept of personal space and he just does what he wants when he wants. We are thinking about holding him back. yes or no

We are trying to decide if we should hold back our son in K. He is smart and is in GT makes good grades but is VERY inmature. He says, "I just want to play, not work". And that's just what he does.

MommaBruin

Asked by MommaBruin at 6:26 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Well if he is very smart, maybe the work that they have him doing is boring for him, and that could be why he is not interested... I would consider that before having him held back. But if that is not the case, and you really feel that it is just him not wanting to do the work, then you should think about it. I wouldn't do it to my kid, because if they are smart and know all the things that K has to offer, I would want them to move on to learn things that they have not already learned. JMO. Good Luck.
    pamelajqs

Answer by pamelajqs at 6:46 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• My son is Gifted and was bored in Kindergarten. He still did his work and was well behaved. Sounds like your child is a bit immature and should be held back. Academically he may be ready but emotionally and maturity wise he may not be. My son is still a bit bored in school but he manages to find intelligent and creative ways to entertain himself. Your will too when he is more mature.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• He sounds just like my son, we had some of the same problems. He likes things to be on his terms, and he was bored. Luckily we had an amazing teacher that loved a good challenge. lol The loss of any "choice" time finally got him to buckle down. We explained to him that if he was going to use learning time to play and try to do what he pleased then he would be using his actual free time to do what he should have done to begin with. He also had issues with personal space, I used that term as a reminder and his teacher started doing the same. All we'd say was "Personal space!" and he knew what he had to do. Now, our problems were all in the first term of kindergarten though, once we made it through that first term things improved quickly. Maybe you should take a real hard look at why this is starting now. I don't see any reason to hold back at all. I bet he'll grow out of this with time and a little work! :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:42 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• when my son was 4, the principal of his school approached me about moving him to KG because he was capable of doing the work but we ended up letting him stay in pre-k because socially he was not ready for that slightly more mature environment and I think it was best because now at 6yrs old he is an excellent student but he wants to still do the things any 6-yr old boy wants to do, which is..play with his action figures and run around.
    sexymommyrb

Answer by sexymommyrb at 10:57 AM on Apr. 13, 2009