What am I doing wrong?

I have an almost 3 year old little boy. I'm seriously about to pull my hair out.
I feel like I'm doing everything and he still gets into everything and just won't listen.
Most of the time, I remain pretty calm. But there are times I do get a little frustrated.
He gets tons of attention and affection. I'm always doing stuff with him and try to include him in everything. Instead of harsh discipline, I try to reason with him.
I've done time outs and taking stuff away. I've done positive re-enforcement and praise and rewards.
Now that I have a new baby, it's so much harder, because I do have to turn my attention away from him to take care of the baby.
What else can I do? Is this typical for transitioning from being an only to have a brother? Is this age related? Would anyone like to join me for a valium and martini party?
( BTW- spanking is out of the question, my ODS already has an assertive and aggressive personality.)

nwdeserangel

Asked by nwdeserangel at 6:51 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• I agree that spanking is out of the question :-) You mention trying to reason with him. This is the big mistake! You can quickly and easily learn how to set limits and teach him how to behave without spanking or yelling with the 1-2-3 Magic program. You can get the book and/or dvd at many places (like amazon). Check out the web site at http://www.parentmagic.com/

Worth every penny!!!

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:54 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• He sounds like a typical 3 yr old. They are curious. Just put up anything harmful and let him go to town. I made putting it all away a game for my son at that age. reasoning is not something he understands at 3 so save your breath. Let him be three. Let him be curious and explore. He'll be fine.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:56 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Were is your DH in all this. You sound like a single Mom.. You have to be consistant with your discipline.You have to make him understand that you are the boss,,he is not. Every thing he does wrong has to have a consequence. Your on this earth do teach your children how to be good adults. Sometimes that means your kids are not going to like you. But being a good mom means your not your kids friend.  Good luck

Answer by louise2 at 12:46 PM on Apr. 11, 2009