How do you send good thoughts and positive energy towards someone?

I am piggy-backing off the prayer question. I am not being a jerk, at all. But I often hear people say they are sending good thoughts or positive energy. I understand that it is in the place of prayer. I know that this is a positive gesture.

But I was just wondering, how you do this and what spiritual beliefs teach this? Is this a type of meditation? Is it new age? or is it pagan? Is it like the teachings of the book "The Secret"? Do you do a ritual? Or just think nice thoughts about somoene?

I know you have great intentions, but I wanted to know more about it.

Thanks

Cinnamon-mom

Asked by Cinnamon-mom at 7:02 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• When I send prayers or blessings, good wishes 'your' way, to me it means I think often of that person and their hardship and hope through quiet times with my God that times, health, money, love whatever brings rest and peace, better days their way. I wish there were a group on CM who, no matter religion could at one time daily be one line and post healing thoughts, prayers. I believe in Healing Services and Laying On Of Hands to offer up some one for better health, life. Great Question!!!! Thank you!
    Anonymous

• I can only speak for me... I usually light a candle and say a small "spell"/prayer/blessing... Stating that as the smoke rises from the flame is should carry with it my blessing and well wishes to reach those in need of it. I ask the smoke to leave me, taking with it my energy and find "Johnna" and keep her safe, and well...

Or something along those lines depending on the situation.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:12 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• 610pm4-9anon again. When I send my prayers and thoughts for better times I personally do not pray or demand that MY God MY Religion come 'their' way or hell. I truly pray for better for one's hardship. I'm Episcopal if it makes any difference and very very spiritual more than religious.
    Anonymous

• I envision blessings pouring over that person, or total peace and security wrapping around them in comfort, or healing taking place in their body - whatever their need is, I sit for a moment and focus my thoughts on them receiving that in love. I also feel gratitude for the power that offers those to all people. I might light a candle for focus, as well, if it is a particularly urgent/serious request.

It is like a ... prayer to the Divine, but more visual than verbal. It is more akin to the Law of Attraction than to the beseeching of monotheism. There is deep trust, humility, and gratitude in each approach, but a different perspective.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 7:32 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I send good thoughts all the time. I dont have to be doing anything specific to send them just take a moment and think of a person or situation and there you go.

As for positive energy...sometimes I stop and meditate for a few minutes and focus all of my energy towards that person or situation. Sometimes I light a candle and say a few words of hope towards that person or situation and send it out with my energy.

It really depends on the individual. I think many who do this are of a pagan belief system so they pray in one form or another to their divine.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 7:42 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• This is what I do... (each person is different)
    I will light a white candle... focus/meditate on who/whom and pull in self enegry...
    Then I send it to the person... to me it's much like a prayer... so I do say at times
    that I will pray for you, but it's not the same as if being in a church...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 8:03 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• When I do this, I close my eyes and imagine a very bright, white light thats surrounding me. I feel peace and serenity wash over me from the light. Then i envision that same light going into a little ball and flying toward the person I am thinking about and hitting them and making them feel the same warmth, peach and serenity. Sometimes I even do this with no one in particular in mind. I have sent out random energy several times. As long as I am helping someone, even if I don't know it, I feel better. I am a spiritualist and I have developed this technique from my beliefs.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 8:06 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I light a candle and incense and say a blessing of peace or strength, whatever the situation calls. I use the smoke from the incense to help send out said blessings.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 8:49 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Ah, "plagiarism is the sincerest form of flattery". ;-)
    I've always just thought of the good things that should happen to the person and sort of used my mind to "blow" them in their direction like a dandy lion seed.
    Anonymous

• Geez someones rather bitter.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 9:23 PM on Apr. 9, 2009