At a loss with this one...help!

Today I was talking to my husband about our 6 month old finally being able to fit in 6 month shoes. He responded with"My mom says he doesn't need shoes!" and went on about how we can't afford them. I know we can afford them he just gets uptight about money. Anyway, aren't shoes important for foot development? My toes were curled when I was born, my mom put shoes on me, and now they're not. His toes are curled. Our baby has curled toes and I'm worried that if I don't nip this in the bud the toes are going to stay curled. Any advice on how to handle this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:10 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Shoes can actually hinder development. Babies don't "need" shoes, but I always have shoes on my daughter, you have to make sure they have soft bottoms. You should be able to flex the shoe in half for it to be good on the baby's feet.
    Devory

Answer by Devory at 7:13 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Shoes are important. They help develop not only the toes but also the shape of the foot. Also you want them to learn to walk while wearing shoes because then it wont be so hard to adapt later. Plus the sooner they start wearing shoes the sooner they will get used to them and it wont be such a battle to keep them on. If he has a problem with it, just get the plain white ones from walmart. They dont even cost ten dollars, and work for both boys and girls and all outfits.
    Anonymous

• OP - Dont get those shoes at walmart for a 6 month old!!! Get those slip on booties like the robeez - I think thats the name. They sell them at the Gap. ALSO: A 6 month old does not need shoes. Babies dont need shoes till they start to take first steps - then go from there. When my 3 were babies I used to put anything cute and comfy on them.
    bristle3kids

Answer by bristle3kids at 7:22 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• personally i want to wait for my child to wear shoes.. let her feel the difference between the flooring (if we're inside).
    but if we're outside *and she learns to walk she'll be wearing shoes more often...

idk really.. but here's just one of many sites to take a look at.. i like this one because it doesn't stick to one "side"

http://www.babytipsonline.com/When-Should-Baby-Wear-Shoes.html
    Anonymous

• Babies don't need shoes. I agree, though, the soft ones are fine. (Target has the MiniStar brand like the RObeez but cheaper). The other ones fall off at that age, anyway. When they're walking, they need to learn as much as possible barefoot.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:04 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Babies don't need shoes. What nonsense! They DO NOT help to develop their feet properly!!! If there is something really wrong with his feet that needs to be corrected a doctor should be giving him something to wear to fix the feet.
    MIL is right, he doesn't need shoes. You need shoes for when you walk outside so that you don't hurt your feet by stepping on something, to to keep them warm or dry if there is rain or snow. People all over the world grow up and do fine with no shoes (most humans who have ever lived went barefoot most of their lives).
    Shoes can hinder proper development. The muscles don't always develop properly in shoes, that is why the soft leather shoes have become so common. You want good strong feet, wait on the shoes.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:00 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Shoes aren't not NEEDED... I've never heard anything about needing them for foot development and have heard that hard soled shoes make learning to walk difficult.
    My son does wear shoes, but only because we think they are cute and not all of the time.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:21 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Babies don't need shoes! They can actually cause problems. Most babies have curled toes in the beginning, so don't stress about that. Our son wears shoes maybe once a week, and it's PURELY an aesthetics thing (he's 7 months).
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:36 AM on Apr. 10, 2009