Hiring a midwife...

My husband is quitting his job because he got a much, much better job. I'm due in 2 months. We don't know that he will qualify for COBRA and insurance at the new job won't take affect until 90 days.

We were thinking about hiring a midwife and paying out of pocket, but it seems that it is standard to start care with a midwife right away. I can't seem to find a midwife that will accept me at 32 weeks. Is this standard procedure or am I not looking in the right places?

Please help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:13 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It really depends on the midwife. I have heard of midwives taking women at the end of their pregnancies because of Doctors wanting to schedule inductions or cesareans when the mother didn't want them. I suggest some more looking. Try by word of mouth, also. Look for Doulas in the area and ask them if they know of any midwives that would accept you.
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 7:53 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Keep looking! Some will, some wont! :) Midwifery care is fabulous though! :) Good luck!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 8:38 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Trust me, there is someone out there for you. I suggest browsing the home birth and natural birth groups and trying to track down a woman in your area. Keep looking though. Call LCs in your area, doulas, and check the whole foods stores!
    Lilbeamercomin

Answer by Lilbeamercomin at 1:02 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• That's right about the cutoff that the midwives I work with will take on new patients. Look into the COBRA, just to be sure, and keep checking for midwives (I can imagine how stressed you are about this!). Hang in there!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:37 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• PS- COBRA is not just for those who get laid off. Generally, you can get it if you quit, too (when I went from benefited to per diem, I just paid COBRA). Have him check with the HR dept. of the old company. Just be prepared for COBRA to be about $5-600 (though the stimulus plan covers 65% of it). Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:39 AM on Apr. 10, 2009