When i put my 2 year old in the corner he calls out "moma moma" about 65% of time while he's in there. Why? What can I do to get him to not call my name and just chill there in the corner?

Serenityc21

Asked by Serenityc21 at 7:36 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i'd ignore him, he's just wanting to get your attention so he can get out of the corner, he'll eventually get it & stop calling for you
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 7:38 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• First, how long is he in there? At 2, he should only be in any kind of "time out" for 2 minutes (one for each year of age.) We have had better luck personally with "time ins", we take a Couch Break when they are getting out of hand or "misbehaving" and we cuddle on the couch until they get it under control and we figure out a solution. If what you're doing isn't having the results you're hoping for, there's no harm in trying a different approach!

That said, here is a good article I found on successful time outs that may help what you're doing to work the way you would like it to.
    Copy and paste this link: http://www.dbpeds.org/articles/detail.cfm?TextID=739
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 7:54 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• even my 19 month old knows calling mama in that loving sweet voice tugs at my heart strings...lol. they are very smart !!! i just let her sit and remind her why she is there. it is only 2 minutes, so she will survive.
    lilredsfrm67

Answer by lilredsfrm67 at 8:06 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• He's playing you mama. Think how powerful that is for him if when he's in trouble he calls and you go to him??? I used to sit with my twins when they were sent to time out but I don't do that anymore. The one in time out wasn't feeling the effect/realizing that he was being punished because he had me sitting there with him as well as his brother who would do a "sympathy time out".
    Now we do two minutes in the time out chair alone. They can cry/scream/yell all they want but I don't go to them. I do however check just to make sure they're still sitting in the chair and if they get out I put them back but so far they just sit.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 8:30 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Mine does the same thing. Just try and ignore him because he probably has figured out that it gets to you. It is hard. I know but maybe go in another room or something...
    mommy102786

Answer by mommy102786 at 8:53 PM on Apr. 9, 2009