the poll to spank or not!!

I spank my nephews & neices (& my son when he is old enough), along with other forms of displine, time out, talking to them explaining why what they did was wrong, & etc... what do you do???

rebel07

Asked by rebel07 at 7:51 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• Well, my daughter is only 9 months, so of course, this hasn't come up. However, when and if she reaches an age, where nothing I do works, I will spank. I am sickened by all these families where the kids do as they please and the parents act as if they have no control . . . it's their own fault. They need to take control and show who is the parent. If it takes a swat on the bottom, well I'll do it.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 8:29 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Spanking is a last resort for me, I have only had to do it once and that was when he was really testing me. I usually just say no firmly and direct him to something else. My son is only 16 months so time outs dont really work, unless I want to spend my whole day putting him back in his seat.

BTW when I say "spank" its more like a firm swat to get his attention. I dont repeatedly spank him.

BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 7:53 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• and what do they learn from that other than you are a bully? Kids live what they learn so you are teaching them that hitting is acceptable so they will hit others. That's not a positive form of discipline imo. So in answer to your question, no I don't spank. I use a change in the tone of my voice, I use time out. I take away privileges. It works for me, my kids and my grandkids.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:54 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• im a spanker!

Kbmancine

Answer by Kbmancine at 7:59 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I did, probably a handful of times. And it probably didn't go past the age of 4. Usually the "hairy eyeball" or the "pointing finger" was enough. Lot's of times my face spoke volumes!!
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 7:59 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I spank and often.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 8:00 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I teach my kids patience, cooperation, communication, gentleness, boundaries, respect, and solution-seeking. We teach those with our examples and our responses to them and each other,not with hitting, fear, or coercion. It works well for us, and I'm so glad that I learned from other mamas early on that you could raise well-mannered, sweet, cooperative kiddos by walking the walk -- they learn what they see!
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 8:00 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I will not spank my child!

Anonymous

• I spank, for offences like running in the street, or licking the outlet. Things that would really hurt them. Because I want them to associate these things with pain w/o having to be hit by a car.

Otherwise I try to use it as a last resort. Fist comes the warning, then time out, then depending on the offence I take the toy(s), then I spank...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:09 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I guess you never really know which way it'll turn. As mentioned, I did spank my 2. They're now 29 & 26, not hitters, never were, and very loving and compassionate adults. So maybe it's a "hit or miss". There are too many other reasons that play into what makes a child hit.
    There were 8 kids in my family. My parents never hit any of us. 2 boys were arrested on assault charges. My sister beat up a teacher in high school. So you never know.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 8:13 PM on Apr. 9, 2009