This Q is for mother of twins or kids close in age and potty training.

I have twins and my daughter is ready to learn to potty train and my son is not showing any signs at all. What did you do when they were at different stages? Did you buy two pottys and let the one who wasnt ready just play along? I find it hard to work with her because he wants the attention or wants to interrupt by playing with the potty, any suggestions??

AmyLynn5398

Asked by AmyLynn5398 at 7:57 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My twins are 28 mos. I thought they were both ready a few months ago so I got two potties. They weren't ready so we took a break. I have one who always tells me when he needs to be changed so I have a feeling he's going to train first but still neither is very much interested. This summer we're going to go straight to underware and see what happens.

That said, one of my friend here on CM and in real life trained hers one at a time because one was ready and one wasn't. She still put them both on the potty at the same time but did underware with the one who was ready and diapers or pull ups with the other until he was ready.
    You can come join my group Potty Training Multiples too for support.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 8:23 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I don't have twins but the potty training books I've seen say to start both and let each of them determine his (or her) own pace. Even when the twins are the same sex one is usually ready before the other but seeing what the other one is doing can help spark the slower ones interest.

And yes, I'd get another potty. Then if both need to go, they can. And he will have his very own potty to play with while she is using hers.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:25 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• My oldest were 11 months apart and my son who was the oldest had no interest, I started at the same time, my son took a little longer but when he started to see the praise my DD got he soon followed. I would start at the same time but expect that each will move at different paces.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 9:04 PM on Apr. 9, 2009