If you got pregnant while breastfeeding...

How old was your baby, and how many times were they nursing a day/night?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:00 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• my son was only 5 months... Still nursing ALOT... I nursed him til the belly got to big. He was almost 12 months....

In the begining he was still nursing at least every 2 hours... He was a BIG boy too!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:06 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• 15 months and still nursing every 3 hours or so. He nursed through the pregnancy. We're now tandem nursing.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 9:02 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• My son was 9 months old, and nursing A LOT! We were co-sleeping and he was nursing all night long. I KNEW I was fertile because I got my period at 8 mos.

If you can answer yes to the following three questions, your risk of pregnancy is less than two percent:

1. Is your infant less than six months old?
    2. Are you amenorrheic, that is, are your menstrual periods absent?
    3. Is your baby breastfeeding around the clock without receiving other foods, beverages or pacifiers?

Breastfeeding CAN be a form of birth control, but there are rules and guidelines to follow. You can read about it more at "Natural Child Spacing and Breastfeeding" http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVDec98Jan99p128.html
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:40 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• She was 15 months and nursing on demand...so it ranged from a couple time during the day to every couple of hours during the day, and about 2 times at night. And I am 5 months pregnant and she is still nursing about the same.
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 9:54 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• My mom could have answered yes to two of those questions and she still got pregnant. BFing is NEVER a good form of BC. NEVER! Unless you are okay with getting pregnant before you truly intend on getting pregnant.
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 9:55 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• You are right, breastfeeding is not 100% effective (nor are most other forms of birth control) but it CAN be 98% effective if you follow the "rules" and can answer yes to 1,2,3. 98% is about the same as the mini pill and higher than condoms. Lots of people get PG using condoms or the pill!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:03 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• My daughter nursed when I got pregnant with my twins. She was almost yr old. She continued to nurse until she weened herself at 15 months when I was 7 months pregnant with twins.
    So much has happend since then I dont remember how often.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 11:44 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• BFing has worked better for me than the pill(got pregnant REAL fast on that) and the patch.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 10:23 AM on Apr. 10, 2009