My ob doctors have made it very clear that they dont think I can do this natural with no epidural.

Tell me its possible. Did you have a natural no drug birth in a hospital with a ob??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:04 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Why do they think that? Have you had complications? If there's nothing else going on, they're wrong. My Dr. told me there was no way I could deliver w/out drugs and also tried very hard to talk me into a scheduled c-section. He even went as far as saying "you don't want your babies to die, do you?". Well, I proved the idiot wrong. I had twins born about 20 minutes apart, no drugs at all, no c-section, both perfectly heathy. So yes, it IS possible.
    dannydawna

Answer by dannydawna at 8:11 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• First, remember that you have the right to refuse ANYTHING. It is YOUR body, and they can not force drugs on you, especially something like an epi.

Second, While my labor was not 100% drug free, it was pretty close. I took meds (they offered 100mg, I took 50) to take the edge off of the contractions, but had it planned out so that I was not on any meds when it was time to push.
    Its not that bad! You hardly remember it after...my daughter is 11 months, and I do remember some things, but when I try to remember exactly how it felt, I can't.

You can do it!! Don't let a darn doctor tell you what you can and can not do. Its YOUR choice, not theirs!
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 8:12 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I've known lots of people who have had a wonderful natural birth. i just coudln't do it, the pain was so intense it was like I was being run over by a truck repeatedly with no break inbetween...but was induced....... It's not too late to switch doctors you know!!! Check out

http://www.squidoo.com/pregnantmoms for some good tips and stuff to do before the baby comes.

Anonymous

• Doctors cannot tell you what you will and will not want. You have the right to informed consent. If you tell them you do NOT want drugs and they give them to you, they are going against your wishes. Legally you can sue them. My eyes nearly popped out of my head when I found out that I could have pressed charges on the delivering doctor when I had my son. I specifically said no forceps. In the middle of pushing what did he do? Brought out the forceps to "turn my son as he was coming out" because he was face up and not face down. Either way, my son would have been born at that moment. But because he used the forceps to turn my son, I ended up tearing and it was just awful for me. Unfortunately, I was not informed of my rights. But now I know better.

Unless you consent, they cannot force you into anything. Nobody gives a damn what they think that YOU will do with YOUR body. You can do it if you are confident in it.
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 8:13 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I did it with 2 of my kids. It is possible, it's all mind over matter. Find a focal point, and make sure to breathe through the pain. Another trick I found helpful was to keep your eyes open during a contraction, closing them tends to make the pain seem worse. My ob told me I restored his faith in the strength of women LOL. If you have had a long labor, and need some rest ask for an iv drug like Demerol to help relax between contractions, it just makes you kind of drowsy, and better able to rest between contractions.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 8:15 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Can you switch doctors? Yours sounds unsupportive, to say the least. Tell him that if he can't fully support you in this choice, that you would like him to refer you to a doctor who is more experienced with unmedicated labors.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 8:26 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• They are unsupportive. There are like 8 dr.s there and I have only met a few so who knows which one will actually even deliever. Im 38 weeks so Im asuming its to late to switch. Next pregnancy I will for sure get a midwife. One of the ob's literally laughed in my face when I told her I didnt want the epidural. She said hahaha you know 90% of women say that and cant do it. I just turned my head and started crying. My DH wanted to cuss her out lol. Its not even sure that I can get one b/c I have metal plates and screws back there so another ob I see wants me to make sure I talk to anestisiea b4 delievery b/c he knows I will want one. Thing is I dont want one. My DH and myself have faith I can do this, its just a little discouraging when my own ob's and my mother and family are so unsupportive about this. Them being that way kinda scares me a bit b/c afterall this is my first and I have no clue as to how intese the pain reall
    Anonymous

• (countiued)
    really is. Thanks to all you CM's. You give me strength and support I obviously cant find elsewhere excpept my Dh of course. So thanks for all your answers. :)
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't go in until I was pushing lol. With OB's like that, they will make sure your birth is NOT what you wanted. I can almost guarentee this!

I am sorry they aren't supportive, but seriously: do not go in until you absolutely have to. YOU CAN DO THIS!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 8:40 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Look into natural birth the best you can especially hypno-birthing i had two children with no meds but i was in a birth center you have to be all or nothing with natural visualize on something in the room and take deep breaths, i know it sounds weird but moan out load during contractions with deep long breaths, moan out in an O it really helped me. I know one lady visualized contractions as a wave coming in and each wave gets bigger but with each waves coming closer so did baby! Im going to try that one next time.
    sufyaans_mami

Answer by sufyaans_mami at 8:45 PM on Apr. 9, 2009