I have an 18 year old who works full time and go to college full time. He still lives at home. On Saturday nights he wants to be able to come home whenever. What do you moms think. Should he have a curfew and if so what time?

divamomd

Asked by divamomd at 8:23 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

• Ok,this is just my opinion, but, instead of giving him a curfew, ask him to give you the courtesy of letting you know where he is.. Did you know that if you don't give hiim a curfew, he will be home earlier than early☺. I trusted my children enough when they were18 and didn't give them one, and dang they were home by 11 unless it was something fun going on. He can do things before 2 as well as after 2. If you bought him him to be responsible and to do the right thing, chances are he will.It doesn't matter how old they get, we as Moms will worry til they are old. Just because he is legally an adult, doesn't mean you stop being Mom.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 11:10 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• He is 18. He is going to college full time, and working full time. I don't think he should have a curfew at all.

Is he paying you rent? Helping pay for food?

If so, that means he is acting like an adult. Try treating him like one.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 8:25 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• if he goes to college, and works full time hes not a bum, i think he shouldn't have a curfew. he is 18, which means hes an adult, even if he lives in your house, the fact that he is willing to discuss it with you at all shows he is responsible and mature so give it awhile let him go with out a curfew. if you find that it doesn't work, it affects school or work than i would enforce a curfew.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 8:25 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• NO he shouldn't have a curfew! He's 18, he is obviously a "good kid" and is more than able to care for himself. He could move out if he wanted... Why on earth would you give him a curfew?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:26 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• He's 18..legal adult..no curfew!
    Anonymous

• no curfew!!! I think he should be able to do whatever he wants he's an adult
    Anonymous

• On Saturdays and thats it?? I think that is VERY reasonable. Give him a chance. If he's coming home, and its actually waking you up when he gets there, that's a different story. But if he's quiet and just comes home and goes to bed or whatever without waking you, that should be alright =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 8:34 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• "Dude, where are you going".
    "I have a curfew. I have to be home at 11".
    *Dude, you're 18. That's screwed up".

He walks away embarrased.
    Anonymous

• he does not need a curfew.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 8:43 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• i dont think he should have a curfew how many kids do you know his age that would work so hard and do so good thats awesome i would let him stay out till when he wants he deserves it!
    Anonymous