Super picky eater - do I cater to his wants?

My oldest son will try the occasional "I dont want it" yet he knows if he doesn't eat what is cooked for dinner, he will go to bed without. (Yes, I'm a mean mommy)
My q is about my 14 mo old. Tonight, I cooked dinner, served everyone up... and the baby just threw it on the floor without even tasting it. He literally cleared his highchair tray and then said "Done. Bath." I don't want to put him down without dinner, but if I start making dinner "just for him" then his brother will expect the same treatment.
What do I do???

MunchiesMom324

Asked by MunchiesMom324 at 8:26 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Treat your youngest the same way you treat your oldest.

I started with my daughter (11months) the same way as you are with your oldest. Except, I will tell her that she has one more chance to eat. She throws it on the floor. I say "Ok, no dinner for you, say good night to your daddy." I take her to her room and put her in her crib. I let her cry for about 15 minutes ( I know she is only crying because she is hungry) then I go and get her and offer her the same food again and tell her its her last chance. She eats every bite.

Some people might think that its too young to treat them like that...but you have an older child. You know that if you let your youngest get away with it, then you are doomed with both of them.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 8:32 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• For me, 14 months is too young to go to bed without dinner or without at least giving it a darn good try.
    But I agree, giving him something else sends a bad message to both kids. For every other meal and snack of the day, I'd say let the 14 month old go hungry if he refuses it. For dinner, make a point of including one item that he does like. If he still refuses everything and demands his bath, let him. After his bath, see if he wants some boring oatmeal or something similar - even dry toast. If not, then at least you tried and he didn't get something special made for his own dinner.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:36 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Don't cater to him. He won't starve. He'll get hungry and will eat. He may be experimenting with gravity as well as seeing what you'll do or it may just be that he's not hungry. It won't take him long to learn that if he wants to eat, he'll have to eat what's put in front of him. As you mentioned, this may cause problems with your older one so stick to your plan mama. You can always "beef up" his favorite meal to make sure he's getting the nutrients he needs in a day.
    My 28 mos old twins have gone to bed more than once without supper because the pickies come and go in this house. I used to make different stuff just for them but it got too crazy. Now I make what I make and that's it. It's paid off too. They're more likely to eat even just a few bites of what I've made and have expanded their palates a bit. They'll actually eat other meats besides chicken nuggets and even veggies!
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 8:37 PM on Apr. 9, 2009