• In the Spotlight:

Can it be done? (Med-free birth when you're induced?)

I was induced with my first baby, never got to experience "labor"... with my second, I went natural *until* I got to the hospital, and without consent they gave me Stadol... I do NOT want pain meds (maybe on the epidural, but I don't want anything to make me loopy or groggy)... but I'm scheduled to be induced on Sunday. There has been NO progress and I'm overdue... but I was wondering if you think it can be done - having an induced labor without the loopy pain meds?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:58 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I don't think it can be. Inductions force your body to do something before it's ready. : / I made it a long time in my induction, with only 1/2 a dose of nubane afterwards but seriously inductions suck.

If you aren't over 42 weeks, they shouldn't be considering it and as long as you and baby are fine inductions are not necessary.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:03 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• How far overdue are you? 40 weeks is a midline, you are technically not overdue until 42 weeks. You don't have to be induced. The pain from pitocin is pretty extreme and pitocin increases your risk of cesarean and tearing. How are they talking about doing the induction?
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 9:02 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• i don't think so either. i made it about 16 hours w/o meds with my first when i was induced and after that i was done. i had to have something. i guess it really depends on how fast he comes but if you have no progress now than it will probably take a little bit before you start to dilate.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:05 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• The date they have for me to be induced is at 41 weeks... but I'm having BP problems. They're talking about using the "pill" against my cervix AND the pitocin drip - I'm thinking I may decline the drip and instead ask for cervi-gel to help me dilate until someone can strip my membranes - see where things go from there. I really want to try to do this labor thing on my own as much as possible...
    Anonymous

• By the pill do you mean Cytotec? It's very dangerous to be induced with cytotec. For more information, PM Celticreverie, she was the second poster, she is very smart about this stuff and can give you way more info than I can.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 9:08 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I'm sure it could be done...I'd stay away from the narcotics too. My SIL was soooooo out of it the nurses had to bear down on her stomach to get the baby out. That said, I highly recommend the epidural :)
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 9:17 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I did it! I was induced and made it without any other pain meds. The only drug I got was the pitossin they used to induce me.
    madelines_mom

Answer by madelines_mom at 9:29 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I did the same as madelines_mom. I declined all pain meds and informed everyone around me that no matter what (unless I verbally said so) I didn't want anything.
    AmberBrat

Answer by AmberBrat at 9:35 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I did it. I went in for my induction at 8am. By 10 I was on the pitocin drip. They continued to increase my pitocin every 15 minutes. I started contractions and had very little pain. When My midwife broke my water at 2:12pm my contractions got much more painful. But within the hour I had my baby. I went from 6cm, with the baby relatively high up to delivering after about eight pushes in one hour. Now that hour was very intense. I didn't need pain meds because I told myself and my midwife that I didn't want them. My mom and the nurse kept pressuring me to take pain meds but I knew I didn't want them.
    I believed in myself and knew I could do it without pain relief.
    If you don't want a medicated birth it is up to you not to give in an believe that you must have one. Even if people keep telling you that you do.
    BTW I had two much more painful natural births without the induction.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 9:40 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Well, your BP could be a cause of diet. Is that all that is wrong? BP? Try monitoring your salt intake and switching to a natural sea salt. 41 weeks is still early to be induced, and pitocin is not healthy. It increases your risk of a cesarean, it can easily put your baby in distress, etc.

Also, nothing will work if your baby isn't ready, even a medical induction.

Cervadil I think is what you are talking about, it is a prostoglandin gel. Same thing that's in semen, but having sex is more efficient. Also if they mention Cytotec REFUSE it. It's dangerous and can be fatal.

I don't think BP is a good enough reason to induce. Try and start taking a magnesium supplement if possible. Also nettle can help with blood pressure. You can take a nettle tea.

Evening primrose oil can help soften the cervix, but it doesn't do anything for inducing labor..
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:05 PM on Apr. 9, 2009