5 years of dating, have 2 year old, not married. Do you think he will ever propose?

meet in the Marine corps I was 19 years old. He was 27. We have been together 5 years now. Faithful, committed to each other. Yes we have ups and downs. But it has already been through thick and thin. He says he loves me and wants to spend his life with me... our daughter will be 2 aug 09. still no ring? whats up

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:02 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Relationships

• i would "propose" myself. see what he says then
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:04 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Why would he bother to buy a ring and propose when you have hung around for 5 years without it? If you want him to propose, tell him you are tired of being treated like a live-in maid and sex toy and if you don't get married, you are leaving.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 9:03 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Maybe he's comfortable with the way the relationship is right now. Have you discussed it with him?
    Anonymous

• I agree with vabchmommy..... who says HE has to propose?
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 9:11 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I was with mine for 7 and he has 3 kids. Sometimes you need to say Look whats it going to be . If not then tell him to move on. Sometimes though it is good to stay single. I wished i did now i am paying for it good luck
    Anonymous

• When you figure it out let me know. I am in the same boat...3 years together and an 11 month old daughter. And he KNOWS I want to get married...*sigh*
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 9:20 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• My other half and I have been together for lets just say our oldest son will be 22 on Monday and we are not legally married I am more than comfortable with the way things are we both love each other very much and have been thru it all It works for us I am happy and wouldn't change a thing
    mom2fivekids579

Answer by mom2fivekids579 at 9:21 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I think an honest, reasonable discussion of your relationship is necessary. It couldn't hurt. Its better than wondering. Your child should be your first consideration: SHe needs a real father, and he is just your boyfriend right now,don't you think? Talk with him.
    Anonymous

• Dr.Phil would say= You tell this man that if He does not give you a ring and make this more formal, than You will be packing - up!
    bristle3kids

Answer by bristle3kids at 9:24 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Do you really need the ring and the legal paper stating that you two are together for thick and thin? If you guys are comfortable right now, don't ruin a good thing. I know couples who lived together forever, unmarried, and then got married and the relationship completely fell apart.

If you really want the legal status, sit down with him and discuss it. And even if after that, he doesn't want to get married, accept it or get out of dodge.

Another point, maybe he hasn't proposed because he figures after 5 years you would have mentioned it. Maybe he doesn't think it matters to you.
    AmberBrat

Answer by AmberBrat at 9:32 PM on Apr. 9, 2009