what the H___ is wrong with some teachers these days?

My stepson came home crying because his feet were hurting from walking all day. he is 11. He walked in the door took off his shoes and propped up his feet displaying blisters all over. His teacher made the 5th grade class walk up and down the hallway because they couldn't be quiet in the classroom. Yes I understand a little peace and quiet but at 11 they should be allowed to speak sometimes through out the school day. What is that teaching them walking down the hall in single file? What are your experinces with horror teachers

tall_mocha84

Asked by tall_mocha84 at 9:13 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• I'm sorry, but I'm a teacher and I find it hard to believe your son got blisters from doing this. He would have had to walk the hallways all day in order for this to happen. For some reason, I don't see this as the case. Now this doesn't mean that you shouldn't talk to the principal. However, it can be very frustrating as a teacher when the kids, as a whole, are not doing what they should be doing. Sometimes you have to be creative. So try not to go in with a chip on your shoulder. You'll get further if you come across as a concerned parent. Better yet, maybe you could talk directly to the teacher instead of going over her head. Ask her what happened for her to do this. Sometimes kids can stretch the truth, especially to make it look like they were complete victims and had no responsiblity in it.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 9:31 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I would go right to the principle tomorrow WITH your son and show the blisters that you son got because of her "discipline" techniques. Thats a load of crap.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 9:14 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Poor kid. Luckily we haven't had to confront our child's teachers.

Anonymous

• I agree with Carolyn.. take him tomorrow morning so that the blisters are still fresh. I would demand a punishment on the teacher. Discipline is one thing, that is just a bit too far.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 9:17 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Tomorrow is Good Friday. School probably isn't in session. Take pics.
    Anonymous

• he got blisters from walking up and down the hall way? Sounds like his shoes don't fit right. That is besides the point though you send your child to school to learn not walk up and down hallways. I think the principal needs to be aware of this. IF the teacher can't control her class then she shouldn't be in there.

babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 9:18 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• the kids should shut up long b4 they have blisters, what kinda shoes are  you sending him in??? ................ as a teacher it is soooo annoying to hear them interrupt others learning. it isnt their right, bet the teacher was in trouble and should be in trouble. kids should be quiet in the halls, if you dont agree, try teaching....

AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 9:23 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Based on what you wrote about the shoes and socks, you can't blame the blisters on the teacher. Sorry.

At at 11, yes, a kid should know how to be quiet in class. Was walking up and down the hall appropriate? Maybe or maybe not. How long were the kids acting up and being noisy? If it was a first offense, no it wasn't appropriate. If it had been going on all day, then maybe so.
    Anonymous

• With all due respect AmaliaD, you CHOSE that career. As a teacher, you should realize this is a harsh punishment for normal 11 year old behavior. I can't stand when teachers b*tch and moan about a job they chose. You spent 4+ years of your life in school to tell someone else to do it if they don't like a teachers methods. Not all teachers are good teachers. I have a tremendous amount of respect for the good teachers out there because they are few and far between any more. When I went to college, I thought about teaching but decided I didn't want to be in charge of 20 - 30 kids at once. Maybe the teacher in question should have done the same.

OP.... I would have been Peed off! But 11 year olds rarely talk quietly amongst themselves for very long. It quickly becomes loud and annoying almost always. They probably deserved punishment, but as I said, that is harsh. Especially if it caused him harm.
    Anonymous

• As a teacher I think this is stupid. I have to say though that in my first year of teaching I had an asinine principal who had issues with my idea of discipline. I wanted to keep parents informed of misbehavior. Unfortunately I had a class that was 1/3 kids who did nothing but cause problems, so those parents ganged up on me because they got tired of hearing how their kids were problems. Of course the principal took the parents side (gotta keep those butts in the seats for the money) and I was forced to change things. Anyway, this principal actually thought it was a good idea to teach the kids how to stand in line if they couldn't do it quietly, wasting time I couldn't afford to waste. 1/3 of the students continually ruined it for the rest of the class. Their mommies babied them and their dads felt it was appropriate to make derogatory ethnic and sexist comments towards me. I felt that if by 4/5/6 grade they didn't know how to
    Anonymous