I need sleep

I understand that a 5 week old should not be sleeping threw the night yet but my DD doesn't sleep at all at night. I don't know what to do. I have a two year old son that is up during the day so I can't sleep when she sleeps. Does anybody have any suggestions? Thanks in advance

lelandsmom6707

Asked by lelandsmom6707 at 9:36 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• have someone else come spend the night with you and have them take care of your DD for you that way you can get some rest. or if dad is in the picture just tell him ok thats it tonight im putting in ear plugs and you get her.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:37 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Are you breastfeeding? If so, have you tried bringing baby into bed with you so that you can nurse lying down? For me, that was the best way to get more sleep at night (my boys are 17 mos apart so I can relate!) Check out "Should I sleep with my baby" at http://www.llli.org/FAQ/cosleep.html

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:42 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Sounds like her days and nights are mixed up. Try encouraging her to stay awake more during the day so she'll be tired at night...but still let her take at least 2-3 naps during the day.
    Austinka

Answer by Austinka at 10:03 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Make sure that all the lights are out at night. When you feed her, don't talk to her or interact any more than you need to to feed her and check her diaper. Feed her, change her, put her back down. We had a cosleeper bassinet (but I didn't find it much different from a reg. bassinet pulled up against the bed). this helped so I didn't have to move very far to get her. But after a feeding, I put her straight back down. Mine always got it pretty quickly that night meant you nurse and then go back to sleep.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:01 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I would definately ask for some help from dad, a trusted friend, etc. Us women have such a hard time asking for help....we've been programmed to do it all. Get some sleep! {{{{{HUGS}}}}
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:44 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Play with her and try to keep her awake during the day as much as is possible. She will be tired and fall asleep. Also don't play with her, turn on a bright light, or talk to her when she wakes up in the night. She needs to learn that mommy will take care of her needs but mommy has her own needs that involve sleep.
    i-believe

Answer by i-believe at 9:58 AM on Apr. 10, 2009