Does anyone have recommendation for speech programs?

My son is delayed in speech. I am trying to find something additional to use at home. I found tons of online DVD's, programs etc. but curious to see if anyone has used them. I have to figure out something. He is in speech but not getting nearly the amount he needs so I am trying to see if there more we can do at home.

partiesbyjan

Asked by partiesbyjan at 9:36 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• Have you talked to his therapist about weekly homework or if there are any websites she recommends?
    Anonymous

• ask the speech therapist he sees. my daughter was delayed and the therapist came to our home once a week an hour each time, and spent probably only about 15 mins of that actually "working" with my daughter. the other time she was there she would tell ME how to help DD, that is more what the speech does since it has to be enforced all the time not just the hour or so they are with the therapist.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:40 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I'd avoid any dvd or on-line programs (unless they are teaching you what to do with him in person) because studies show that more screen time correlates with lower speech ability.

Is his problem articulation or production or both? Any way that you can engage him in conversation will give him more chances to practice. That can be with books "Where is the dog? Do you see the dog? Point to the dog? Is it a big dog or a little dog?" etc.
    Shopping "We need some apples. What color apples should we get? Help me count them while we put them into the bag" etc.
    You get the idea!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:48 PM on Apr. 9, 2009