Sex Ed...

I posted the same questions about sex ed to both pro-lifers and pro-choicers earlier. I got almost the same answers.

Now, here is my new question...

For those of you that believe Sex ed is not something that should be handled by someone besides the parents...

What happens to people like me who's only sex ed at home was "Satan wants you to have sex?" My mother did not do a "sex talk" and the subject was just ignored because my mother felt that those weren't things that should be talked about until after you were married. What happens to those kids? Are they just left to fall between the cracks? Should they just find out from their friends? Or movies? Or after School Specials?

What about the parents that just don't care? Or the hooker's kids? Or the porn addicts dad? Or the girl that is being raped by daddy because "Daddy Loves You?"

Who teaches them? Should they get ignored so that no one teaches your kids?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 9:37 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I can't really answer since I do think sex ed should be taught in schools... an on top of that I will be one of those humiliating moms teaching my daughters to chart their cycles and teaching my son how to put a condom on a banana! My own mom explained menstruation to me so badly that I thought I only got my period once a year (I was mighty upset the second month! LOL!) and her sex talk consisted of coming into my room when I was going to bed and telling me that she hoped I would come to her if I had questions about that kind of thing... then five minutes later barging in again and telling me that I better not even think about having sex because she would kick me out of the house. Thank goodness the school taught me something! LOL!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:43 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Good subject, Sabrina. My mom gave a "sex talk" to me, my brother and my sister all at the same time when we were all like 7,8, and 9. It was so *not* sex related basically it was "when a man and a woman love each other"...type of junk. She only did it to explain some select stuff because I was totally confused that my teenage cousin was not married and was pregnant. Until then I believed when you got married, you had a baby if God wanted you to. I had to eventually teach myself about sex and MUCH would have rather gone to a sex ed class instead of educating myself on the subject. She always acted as sex was very shameful and I have to admit, it still effects my brain today! Sex ed classes are wonderful. I have made the decision to be open and honest as my kids grow AND opt for sex ed classes when they are available.

I don't think any child should be denied any truth about life and that includes sex ed.

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 9:49 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I personally would like to be the first one to talk to my children about sex. Not in the manner of satan ,but the importance the union is supposed to mean. Also why i personally think its a good ideal to wait till you get married.
    mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 9:49 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• LOL Freela!

I didn't get a menstruation talk AT ALL...I will have to say I will definitely be one of those humiliating moms too!

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 9:52 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Yeah, I had the menstruation talk with a lady from our church that I called granma. That was really awkward. She noticed the red spot and jumped on it, so to speak., Sorry if I hijacked your post there for a minute Sabrina, I just had to through my humiliation out there. lol
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 10:11 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Oy, I CAN imagine that humiliation, Ashley! LOL
    hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 10:20 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• We had a parent of one of our high schoolers at church who told us that she wouldn't let her 16 year old dd go to a purity seminar because she didn't want her to know about sex. She homeschooled and sheltered her. She said she would tell her dd what intercourse was the night before her dd's wedding. I was so freaked out by that. I mean how scary to find out about intercourse the night before your wedding!!! Well, it didn't happen that way for the girl, and now "grandma" is missing out on her precious grandbabies. It is sooo sad.

I totally understand the point of your question. I mean just because I want to be the one to fully teach my girls about sex, there are children out there whose parents don't do it and they end up learning from the songs on the radio, the movies on tv, or some pornography they happen to see.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 10:54 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I would just like to add that I think sex education is great.
    It would reinforce what I teach by showing all the negative effects of premarital sex.
    Also fill in the gaps I wouldn't feel comfortable explaining.
    mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 10:56 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• i definatly beleive sex ed should be taught in schools...especially in middle school
    pisces_chick89

Answer by pisces_chick89 at 11:21 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• i think that parents need to be parents and have the talk, but since we want our kids to always be little and look at them like that no matter how old they get we have a hard time having the sex talk conversation with them. the only thing school taught me was that if your really did not want to get an std or get pregnant was to use condoms or not have sex at all.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 11:33 PM on Apr. 9, 2009