Is this PPD or am I just a horrible mommy????

My son is 8 months old doesnt sleep through the night but sleeps most of it in his pack-n-play and the rest with my husband and I.. During the day he has started to fight sleep and just cries and cries and cries and it makes me want to just punch a hole in the wall it makes me so frusterated and I'm getting this way with him at night too,it drives me crazy!I can't teach him to self sooth because we are currently living with my mom and we sleep in the floor in front of his pack-n-play so he can see us when he wakes up.I can't let him CIO because the pack-n-play is in the living room so everyone is in and out all the time.He eats r4 meals a day 2 of cereal and 2 of stage 3 babyfood. Plus snack and one 4 oz sippy cup of juice and 36oz of formula.I use a binky.I'm 19 years old and this is my first one and I'm trying my hardest to be the best mommy I can and I feel like I'm failing
.So am I or is it PPD and I need to go see a doct

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:40 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You have VERY legitimate problems here! Of course he can't sleep, with all the activity around him!! It might be worth renting a room out somewhere, just so he can be somewhere where he can wind down and get to sleep (I imagine finances are tight). Can you talk to the other people in the house about keeping the lights dark and noise and activity to a minimum while the baby is trying to sleep? At 8 months, he's very easily distracted. You could be going through some PPD; you are going through a REALLY stressful time! We all get frustrated, and you have every right to feel that way; just don't take it out on your baby. Talk to your mom and anyone else in the house, and see if you can't come to an agreement, and maybe you and your hubby can find a way to get your own (cheap) place somewhere? Good luck, and hang in there. YOU'RE NOT A BAD MOMMY!!!!! =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:31 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• You need to move out. Give him his own room.
    Anonymous

• It does not sound like PPD at all. You just sound frustrated. You need someone to talk to or have someone help you around the house. I suggest you google PPD to know what it is.

Anonymous

• this is very normal, doesn't sound like PPD. just sounds like you're overstressed. you're in a situation where you can't raise your baby the way you need to, and that makes it really hard. please talk to your mom about this situation. let her know that you need to adjust his sleeping pattern, and that may mean him crying a bit at night. it shouldn't take too long to get him where you need him to be. try to get some you time in there. it sounds like you're really having it hard. see if a friend or family member can take him for a little bit so you can get your thoughts together. see if you can get your own place soon. I know it's hard. best of luck. you are NOT a bad mommy, just make sure you walk away when you're mad so you don't hurt that beautiful baby!
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 9:45 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Don't let anyone tell you you aren't a good mommy. He's just noticing the world around him and doesn't want to miss anything. Is there anyone who is around all the time and can take over when you start to get frustrated? If so, take the opportunity to take a walk while someone else watches him. Somewhere where you can't hear him. I'm with you, my 7 month is going through the same thing and some days its just hard not to damage the walls. Hang in there, you're doing great and you can't be a bad mommy if you care enough to worry.
    AmberBrat

Answer by AmberBrat at 9:47 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I had PPD, and I'm sure everyone feels it differently, you may or may not have it, i don't know. I think we all get frustrated at our kids sometimes...and that's ok. You aren't a terrible mommy. I assume you wouldn't be living in the situation you are by choice, so as soon as you can change it...I'm thinking you will feel better. Here are some symptoms of PPD. To the sleeping situation. I feel you. My daughter still doesn't make it thru the night and she's 2. I can't CIO cause i have a 2nd grader whose bedroom is right beside my 2 year olds. I swear, I feel like I haven't slept in 2 years, slightly zombie-ish. I did get help for my PPD and I'm doing much better. If you have any of the symptoms listed on that site, please call your doc..there is help out there. Good Luck.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 9:55 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• This might sound silly, but is there a closet somewhere big enought for his pack and play? He really needs to have a quiet place where he can get his rest....when babies are overly tired, they don't sleep well. And, they make everyone around them misserable too!
    I have a daycare, and a lot of times I put the portacribs in the laundry room....lol!
    Also, have you checked to see if you qualify for any government assistance? Maybe you could get your own place so your baby could sleep. There is nothing that can get to your nerves faster than a tired baby!!! Hang in there, and try to get some help!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 1:46 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Hey, for being 19 you sound like you are just doing the best you can. Most people who have HAD other children and are older can't get their kids to sleep. It isn't you, it is the baby.. And that sounds like a little too much food for an eight month old. You should try giving him a short morning nap about two to three hours before he gets up and then a longer one if the afternoon. Between naptime try sitting on the floor and playing with him. Change activites often. Like build a maze on the floor with a bunch of different pillows so he can craw through and over them. Most kids cry a lot because they just aren't getting the stimulation they need. I know that on the days that I am really busy and my fifteen month old doesn't get as much play time he is a lot fussier. You are doing a good job though. Keep it up. Keep trying new things and you will figure it out.. But when you are stressed they sense that too!
    Elysia4999

Answer by Elysia4999 at 2:55 PM on Apr. 10, 2009