Would you terminate a pregnancy based on a Down's Syndrome diagnosis?

Even if you found out the diagnosis in the first or early second trimester? (i dont even know if thats possbile, but let's play devil's advocate in this hypothetical)

Asked by redderbedder at 10:10 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• No

• I chose not to get the test done because I didnt want to know, and it wouldnt have changed anything if the baby did have down syndrome... plus alot of those tests come back with false positives

Answer by LuvsDanika at 10:11 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• never~!

Answer by busymamma503 at 10:11 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• wow, what a loaded question. I know a few people that have had to deal with things like that. early in the pregnancy there were predictions of problems.... they decided to keep their babies regardless and chose to love them in spite of everything and they turned out just fine. I couldn't imagine doing it, but I guess some people wouldn't be able to cope with it.

Answer by Adeline1210 at 10:12 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• No. I wouldn't have the test done. If I knew,I still wouldn't abort the baby.

• Never.

Answer by babycakes254 at 10:13 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I refused the test. I did not want to stress myself out if it came out positive and I would never abort a child under any circumstances.

Answer by ZaTa at 10:16 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• No. But I hear the rate of termination is very high. I have a friend who was told that it was very likely that her baby was DS, but she refused further testing and continued the pregnancy. That child is 100% fine. I know someone else who was told they were likely having a DS baby, that baby was fine, then with her next baby all the tests looked normal, and her baby was born with DS.
    I can'r imagine how hard it would be to have a DS child, but there is no way I could terminate the pregnancy. (BTW I am not religious at all, and am very pro-choice, so that is not the issue with me)

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:19 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• NOPE

Answer by mommymeg03 at 10:20 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I didn't have the test done because over 50% of the time it's wrong. It's a very sensitive test. It will show a false positive if your doc calculates your due date wrong. I know 3 people this has happened to. I would NEVER abort my child anyway. EVER. i have a handicapped cousin. He has partial trisomy 4....and he has brought so much joy to our lives.

Answer by momjoy1027 at 10:20 PM on Apr. 9, 2009