What age is the best age to start weening off the pacifier and what are the best methods?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:05 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't remember the age my son was when we weened him. We threw away the pacifiers. He didn't miss them.
    Anonymous

• I think around 6 months is best, but since you're posting this in the toddler section, I'm guessing your LO is older. I don't think my advice would work as well for a one year-old... I' have friends who dragged it out by giving it to their child in bed for the longest time... I'd just go cold turkey, I think. If you do it really late, I've also heard you can pretend to mail them off (with your LO's help) to "the babies that need them..." Good luck.
    Anonymous

• you can snip the tip of the paci slowly, let them get used to sucking on nothing....
    Anonymous

• Right when My daughter got her first tooth is when I threw all of them away. She did fine.
    Augusta

Answer by Augusta at 11:57 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• my son will be a year this month i have already taken him off the bottle but the paci is goin to be a hard one. This is my plan im only going to give it at naps and bedtime instead of any time of day. I think this will have a good outcome because it will be a gradual process. Then just keep stepping down from there. Hope this helps
    jodie2008

Answer by jodie2008 at 1:25 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• We would have a bonfire and let the child throw theirs away themselves (after many 'big kids don't have pacifers' comments) There was one who's grandfather kept offering to reward him with a brand new tricycle and eventually the kid didn't want to wait for the bonfire. Grandpa lived on a river and let the boy throw the pacifier in the river 'to feed the baby fishies'.
    AmberBrat

Answer by AmberBrat at 1:38 AM on Apr. 10, 2009