What's the limit on letting kids drink out of a sippy/straw cup?

My daughter's 22 months and does great with a regular cup at mealtime. She drinks water -- we don't offer milk at mealtime because it fills her up. So we've let her continue having her milk ritual with her straw sippy. She's as attached to that thing as she ever was to a bottle... has to have it that way right after she wakes up in the AM and right after her nap. If I give her milk in any other cup, she doesn't want it (she'll take a few sips, but never drink a significant amount). I feel like she needs to be weaned from it just because she's just so particular about it, but maybe it doesn't matter? By what age do you think she should just be drinking out of big girl cups?

EmilySusan

Asked by EmilySusan at 11:11 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Good question! I'm concerned over how much juice my daughter is constantly drinking out of her sippy cups. She uses 'normal' cups at meal times, but I think it's my fault she's so attached to the sippy cups (has to have one when she wakes up in the morning - or during the night - and to fall asleep initially.) I like them because they don't make messes! I know she needs to graduate to not using them anymore, but...oh, the cleaning that will ensue. I dread it.
    MommyDumDum

Answer by MommyDumDum at 11:38 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I dont think it matters whatever works for you. Have you tried putting water in her special cup too, or will she not drink anything but milk out of it? Maybe if you put everything she drinks in that special cup, the novelty will wear off, and you can just wean her off of the cup all together.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 12:00 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• My friend has this method for her daughter..

A full cup in the morning

half a cup or less between breakfast and lunch

A cup at lunch

a half a cup or less between lunch and dinner

a cup for dinner

half a cup or less before bed.

She doesn't put her daughter to bed with a cup and either do I.

Give them something else they can latch on to. Like a stuffed animal or a blanket.

Augusta

Answer by Augusta at 12:01 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• My daughter doesn't get a cup for bed, either. She's just attached to it as a way to drink her milk after she wakes up in the morning and after her nap. It's a lot like my need for coffee.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 12:07 AM on Apr. 10, 2009