age limit on sippy cups?

My daughter's 22 months and does great with a regular cup at mealtime. She drinks water -- we don't offer milk at mealtime because it fills her up. So we've let her continue having her milk ritual with her straw sippy. She's as attached to that thing as she ever was to a bottle... has to have it that way right after she wakes up in the AM and right after her nap. If I give her milk in any other cup, she doesn't want it (she'll take a few sips, but never drink a significant amount). I feel like she needs to be weaned from it just because she's just so particular about it, but maybe it doesn't matter? By what age do you think she should just be drinking out of big girl cups?

EmilySusan

Asked by EmilySusan at 11:13 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my daughter is almost 3 1/2 (will hit the mark in june) she has a big girl cup for meals when we sit at the table. otherwise she still has a sippy cup. she still has trouble sometimes and spills all over herself with a big girl cup, or she doesn't realize that she can't just leave it sitting on the floor like she can a sippy. i was planning on getting her 100% off of it by the time she is 4 1/2, i figure thats a good age.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:20 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I don't see a problem with letting her use a straw sippy until she decides she doesn't want it. My son is almost 4 and still has a problem with spilling his drinks unless he's at the table. So I give him any drink he has ouside of meal time, in a gatorade bottle. He calls it his water bottle. But it's the same idea.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 1:00 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Our daughter only gets sippy cups when we travel. Other than that, we give her regular cups and she does just fine. It's been this way for the last four months (she's 13 months old).
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 10:54 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• My daughter is 4 and she still uses one at night. Otherwise it is just a regular cup. I don't see anything wrong with it. When she is ready, she will give it up.
    Sitar21

Answer by Sitar21 at 11:29 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• My DD will be 4 in Aug...She only drinks out of one if she has one in the car..otherwise she uses big girl cups all day breakfast,lunch,snack,and dinner are the only time she has a drink
    kaylajean86

Answer by kaylajean86 at 2:10 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I took the sippy away at around age 2 with both my kids
    MommyBoha

Answer by MommyBoha at 4:27 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• The no spill sippie cups are great on the go, for car rides, and when they're sick. So there are certain situations when a sippie cup is preffered. As for going to a big girl cup, its gradual, hand eye coordination is needed. About 2-3 years old they should have enough skill to drink out of a cup without a top. And weening them onto a cup isn't a big deal just slowly throw away the abused sippie cups and eventually you won't have any to give to her.
    anna_ny

Answer by anna_ny at 4:46 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I don't think its that she needs to be broken of the straw cup as much as that she just needs to find a different security item. Perhaps replacing it with a stuffed animal? Or let her have it at the house but... not outside of teh how, then in the morning, but not after naps.. or just decided to stick to letting her only have it at the table during meals and snacks?

No matter what path you choose, it probably wont be easy.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 6:03 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I got rid of all the sippy cups when my SO and I moved in together. My SS was a couple months older than 3yrs. and my SD was 6 almost 7. Both were using them still at the time and I was over it. I had to remind my SS to use both hands a lot for a while, but he has done great. I literally just hid them all and said we didn't have anymore
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:30 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• There is no reason to get rid of the straw sippy. My daughter's speech language pathologist suggests using the straw sippies rather than the regular sippy cups, because of the different sucking pattern.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 2:32 AM on Apr. 11, 2009