so does anyone else have a child thats starting middle school?

Im a little worried my eleven year old is starting middle school this fall.im afraid shes to little and will get teased.

tashabush

Asked by tashabush at 11:31 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• My son will be in his last year of middle school and I worried about the same thing and it was unfounded. There really isn't a lot of teasing going on in my sons school. Most of the 6th graders are little anyway. It could be that my sons middle school doesn't tolerate very much "bad" behaviors. No tolerance for bullying. The kids are kept with their grade levels too. They have wings for each grade level and each grade has lunch with their own level. If she does get teased just talk to her about how wonderful she is, hate to say it but teasing is part of growing up (to a point). She should be ok though.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:48 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I am a middle school teacher. I have found that the teasing begins to decrease as they go to the upper grades. Also, she will be meeting new people as the schools merge in middle school. Usually, the teasing stops after about 6th grade. They won't tease her if she holds her head high and gives the world a reason to see something besides her size. Tell her to go and shine.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 11:34 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I don't want to scare you and I hope your year will be like that posted by jesse123456, but alot happens in middle school. You should even warn her to anticipate that she'll meet lots of new people, be faced with lots of new behaviors & choices, and she'll go through alot of changes. She needs to be able to talk to you - be it teasing or whatever else she might face. If she has a problem, try to find techniques for dealing with it - for example, a funny comeback if she is teased about being small.

Of course, it isn't doomsday - you should remain upbeat and positive, but I wish I had anticipated the changes they face, instead of being forced to face the problems/consequences.
    PhillyinFrance

Answer by PhillyinFrance at 4:37 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• My daughter will be a 6th grader next year and I am having a real problem with it all. I was not expecting her to already be "growing up" this year as a 5th grader. She is a great student, nice girl, well behaved, but I see her pulling away at times and wanting to be alone more, experiencing some beginning body changes, and having some ATTITUDE! I love little kids and babies, I don't have any idea what to do with tweens and teens! I worry about what she will hear and see next year!
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 4:55 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I think us parents worry more than the kids. I'm on my 2nd child going through middle school and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be for them. My 12 year old is in 6th grade and has a friend that is the size of a 9 year old. He's had no problems at all. Then again we live in a small town and our middle/high school is all one school and everyone knows everyone. The same kids go to school together from kindergarten on up to graduation.
    I had a talk with my boys about changes and them being the low man on the totem pole again and just keep their heads up and go on. But the grades are pretty much kept together. They only have classes with other 6th graders, they only go to lunch with 6th graders, etc. I do agree with the previous poster about teasing being a part of growing up. Just remind your daughter to keep the communication open between you 2. Your daughter will be fine ;) Good luck to her and you too mom
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 3:00 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Yes, I'm like you alittle concerned about my 10 yo dd starting middle school next year. I wish it started in 6th grade instead of 5th. She will be in a new school because we want her to be in sports and she does also. This school is 4 miles away and the one she is in is 14 miles. Starting into a new school, let alone middle school, is a concern we have. She doesn't though, thank goodness. She is not small for her age, quite the opposite she looks like she is 12 and that can be a problem also and I hope it won't be. So, I know how you feel. I hope we both find out middle school works out fine.
    cat4458

Answer by cat4458 at 4:40 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• I started middle school and i was a lil bit scared but i jumped up on the bus andloved my first day!
    momtowebkinz

Answer by momtowebkinz at 12:13 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Yes, my son starts in the fall also and I'm nervous for him. And, frankly, I think he is too. Of course, he's at that age where he doesn't really want to talk about it, unless it's with his dad. So, I'm trying to figure out ways to get him to talk without bugging him. I'm hoping to prepare him for this change by giving him some more responsibilities at home and testing him in this over the summer.
    bluzgrl07

Answer by bluzgrl07 at 4:30 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• My son started middle school this year. I'm sure he was nervous but excited at the same time. As long as they have friends going over to the new school with them and a chance to make new ones. It is a big transition to move from three classes in elementry school to seven in middle school and sometimes teacher and student personalities clash but as long as the parents are involved and your child talks to you about his day everything should be fine:-) It's hard letting them grow up but there is no stopping them!!
    Rosek

Answer by Rosek at 10:58 PM on Dec. 14, 2009