i dunno what to do.

I just had a daughter, she is a week old and i find myself feeling so self conscience about being a mother... i have confident days & than days where i wonder if im doing things right... Like is she eating enough? is her health ok?..... i constantly have anxiety when night time comes, knowing i have to go to bed cause im constantly worried something might happen to her... i check if she is breathing & im just constantly worried about her.... i feel crazy because of how much i worry.... i am very fearful of death because of losing both of my parents at a young age.... i just dont know how to cope with this anxiety i have.... & im up with her everyday & at night... SO isnt..... Im a first time mom and just need some advice on how to cope & if other moms went through this...

I feed her every 3 hours, sometimes more & sometimes less.... no more than four hours though....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:32 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• honey, you're doing fine. she's only a week old. welcome to the best thing that ever happened to you!
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 11:35 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• feed her when she is hungry. otherwise, i definately did the same thing. i would sit there and watch her chest move to make sure she was breathing, and if it was too dark and i couldn't see i would put my hand by her nose. i don't know anyone who hasn't felt that way. honestly the first time i fed her (i didn't feed her in the hospital, my husband usually did i could barely move none the less feed her) was when we got home from the hospital and she spit up, i never saw her spit up with my DH so i freaked and wouldn't touch her for an hour b/c i thought i had over fed her and was gonna kill her. so ya we all have our good days and bad days that doesn't go away you'll always wonder if something you do is going to make her a better or worse person. just try to breath and go with your gut
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:36 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Yea I agree, you are fine. We all feel like that. I felt like that with my first (5yrs ago) and with my second (two months ago). The first few weeks are hard on everyone even harder on first time moms. Just learn to breathe and sleep when your baby sleeps. Let the house work go and take care of the baby and yourself. Don't be afraid to ask for help from family.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 11:38 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• your doing good try not to worry so much i know easier said then done but feed her when she wants and change her and all that stuff if you need help or need sleep and you cant sleep cuz your to worried have some one come over and let you get some sleep like sister brother ect. and
    myangelelena

Answer by myangelelena at 11:52 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• CONGRATS ON YOUR NEW BABY
    myangelelena

Answer by myangelelena at 11:53 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• i did the same thing.....my baby cried alot bc of consipation. my first i was devastated i was trying to stay on a feeding schedule then i said oh no, i have to feed him when he's hungry! My baby has a heart murmor so i was really watching him sun up to sun down! I encourage yu to keep your baby close but don't worry sleep when they sleep otherwise yiu won't be able 2 function for our baby! good luck!
    sunshyne251

Answer by sunshyne251 at 12:17 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• congrats you are a mother you will worry like this for the rest of their life. my son is a year and i still check his breathin when he sleeps and when he was her age i never slept either that part will get a little easier with time. About the feedin i feed my son every 3 hours a schedule will make life so much easier and if you do this you wont have to worry if she is hungry or about over feeding. it takes two hours for their little bellies to empty. so if you know shes not hungry u can run down the list of other things to check out. but most of all go with what you feel. enjoy ur little blessin!
    jodie2008

Answer by jodie2008 at 1:47 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• It sounds like you might be having the post baby blues, or even some post partum depression. You have perfectly valid concerns, but it sounds like they are overwhelming you. Talk to your OB, or find out about seeing a counselor.
    Try feeding on demand. Babies know when it's time to eat, and as long as her diaper counts are good (6-8 wet a day), then you're fine! Even at 7 months, we're constantly checking to make sure our son is still breathing. Keep Baby close to you, as this will help ease your concerns (but let others hold her too!!). Hang in there, and definitely talk to someone who can help you, mommy! =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:13 AM on Apr. 10, 2009