why do women get their labor induced?

jacudra

Asked by jacudra at 11:40 PM on Apr. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• For many reasons. Baby to large, baby overdue, water breaks but no contractions. Those are just a few of the reasons I can think of.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 11:42 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Medical reasons...
    Baby is a late bloomer
    Baby is wayyy too big.

Ill never think a woman is being selfish if she asks to be induced because if the doctor says yes, then OBVIOUSLY the baby is ready to come out...i highly doubt a doctor would say yes if baby wasnt ready to come out..

ha! bet no one thought of that one =D
    Anonymous

• I was induced because I was past my due date, my baby was big and I was little and the dr. said "hey i think it would be good to go ahead and induce you". I didnt argue.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 11:49 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Or some, like myself, WERE just too neive and went along with whatever the Dr said.

Fool me once, shame on you! But it won't happen again!!!!
    mommy_bink

Answer by mommy_bink at 11:52 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• i was induced b/c my blood pressure kept sky rocketing and i only had a week to go so they induced me. kind of wish id have asked if there were other options b/c i labored for 3 days with no progress and ended up with a c-sec. but i don't think a dr would just induce someone with out a reason so i don't see why anyone should judge a woman who is induced or who asks to be
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:57 PM on Apr. 9, 2009

• Ill never think a woman is being selfish if she asks to be induced because if the doctor says yes, then OBVIOUSLY the baby is ready to come out...i highly doubt a doctor would say yes if baby wasnt ready to come out..

ha! bet no one thought of that one =D

Actually, considering the bonuses doctors get if your failed induction leads to a c-section - yeah, they WILL do it. Induction has been proven to be less safe when compared to non-intervention births. Women get defensive about being induced when really they should be mad as hell for being fooled into it. I know that's my opinion and it's not a popular one. I just wish women would keep an open mind and speak with a midwife too. Midwives have been in the baby business thousands of years longer than doctors. I trust the word of someone who isn't getting a bonus every time they pump a drug into my system. OBs get like 25k for every c/s they do. No wonder we have a 33% c/s rate
    Lilbeamercomin

Answer by Lilbeamercomin at 12:32 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I was induced because I was overdue. But by only one week. I wish I hadn't been, I labored for two days, got nowhere, and had a c-section. This baby will be coming on her own. If she wants to come 2 or 3 weeks late, then that's what will happen.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 12:33 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I was induced because I had preeclampsia. My midwife told me that I needed to be induced because of the protein levels in my urine. I told her I didn't want to be induced and didn't show up to the hospital. She called me many times that day.

I took Bradley Method classes and my instructor told me that if it REALLY important that you be induced the doctor/ midwife will go out of their way to make sure you go to the hospital and get induced. My midwife called me repeatedly to tell me that I needed to come in. I really didn't want to because I thought that I was fine. It was my first baby and it just wasn't worth the risk of losing a baby to argue with her since she was so intent on my coming in.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:19 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I was induced because my amnotic fluid started to disappear (don't know where it went, it wasn't dripping out). When the placenta came out, it looked like it had started to prematurely decompose even though I was only one day over when I was induced.
    AmberBrat

Answer by AmberBrat at 1:28 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• if they are sick, over due ect
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 5:42 AM on Apr. 10, 2009