HELP! My newborn cries for hours EVERY NIGHT!

I have a 2 week old son and he started a routine where he is awake every night for 4-5 hours. He has a pretty normal schedule, except around 8 pm he gets up for a feeding and stays awake. He is usually up 2 hours or so and wants fed again. After that he is cranky, fusses over anything, doesn't want to sit, be walked, swing, anything. Then he cries for the next 2-3 hours. I have tried swaddling, and he seems to thrash around more. I tried gas drops thinking it was gas, it didn't help. I've tried leaving him to cry it out for a few minutes, and it only seems to make him more angry. I have walked him around, tried burping him, sang him songs, tried the pacifier, you name it, I've probably tried it. (except car ride...I REALLY don't want to get him hooked on that) PLEASE HELP!!!! ANY SUGGESTIONS would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!!!!

peanutty222

Asked by peanutty222 at 12:20 AM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• have you tried bouncing? if you have an exercise/birthing ball, try holding him and bouncing on that. my son loved that... another thing was my son always wanted to be carried facing outwards, so that my arm rested against his belly, i think it helped him feel better. have you tried giving him a bath with lavender essential oils? how about a baby massage?
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 12:26 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I'm thinking colic. Have you tried the old, "put them in a car seat on top of the running dryer" trick?
    asiamommi

Answer by asiamommi at 12:47 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Welcome to the witching hour. Very normal. And the cure will be different every single night. Some nights it will be driving. Some it will be bouncing. Sometimes it will be whatever you fed him.

He's trying to shut out the world after a long day of stimulation. Try winding things down for him quietly in the hours before bedtime.

If he seems to be gassy, gripe water or Mylicon will help. Some moms report success with Colic Calm.

There is ONE certain cure.

TIME. It WILL pass. (And now you know the TRUE reason for bonding...it's to keep us from eating them out of sheer frustration.)

Answer by gdiamante at 12:47 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• You might also want to look at what he is eating. My son was allergic to milk and would get so so fussy in the evening. Once i cut it out of my diet he did really well, but before I realized it was dairy he would cry for 4 to 8 hours every single day, and the doctor simply wrote it off as colic. If you are nursing it could be something you are eating, and if he is on formula he might do better on something soy or lactose free.
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 12:49 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Colic. We gave our son catnip tea for colic. Just a teaspoon of cooled tea with a bit of sugar. It helped dramatically.
    Try holding the baby face down, with the face in the elbow and the tummy pressed against the inside of your wrist. Usually Dads do that hold as it is easier for them. Or "fold" the baby, put the baby's back against your chest and hold the feet pressed up against his tummy. Do not overfeed baby. It will make the colic worse.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 2:46 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Have you read, "The Happiest Baby on the Block" by Dr Harvey Karp? He does the 5 S's thing, and that might REALLY help. Try watching the video for quick results (see if your doctor's office has one you can borrow). It really helped us. Hang in there!!!! This really will pass. I agree about the dairy thing, too. Once I cut milk out, it helped for us. He'd been having REALLY foul farts, and they went away as soon as I cut out the milk.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:58 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• our baby started geting really fussy at feeding time and the dr gave her meds for reflux....we had done the mylicon and the gripe water...meds seem to have helped a ton!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• YOUR BABY IS TRYING TO TELL YOU SOMETHING, THIS IS THE ONLY WAY THEY HAVE TO COMMUNICATE, BE IT HE IS , HUNGRY OR JUST NEEDS TO FEEL YOUR WARMTH, OR HEAR YOUR HEART BEAT ONCE AGAIN. NEWBORNS CONFUSE DAY AND NIGHT SOMETIMES, GIVE HIM SOME TIME TO ADJUST, SOMETIMES, ALL THEY WANT IS TO BE HELD, ROCK HIM, CUDDLE HIM, HE WILL OUTGROW ALL OF THIS SOON, BE PATIENT AND TOLERANT.

Answer by older at 11:06 AM on Apr. 10, 2009