what is with parents these days!?

i working in a kids clothing store and while at work today i walked to the front of the store (near the open doors) to see twin boys sitting in their stroller. they were adorable so i was talking to them and making them laugh. it was near closing so there werent many people in the store. after a few mintues i realized all the customers are at the back of the store... a good 10 minutes went by until their mother came to get them... who knows how long they were sitting there until i walked up! these boys were no more than 18 months... and thats pushing it. i was sick to my stomach, any one walking through the mall could have taken those boys, what if i hadnt walked to the front? this mother was not paying any attention at all. maybe its not my business and i know im not a perfect mother, but to leave your kids sitting in a stroller while you shop... come on now, have a little more common sense.

walkthisway522

Asked by walkthisway522 at 12:23 AM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We were in a mall in Columbus, Ohio last Christmas season. My husband and I watched these two little girls (about 3 or 4) walk out of the play area where we were with our kids. When no adults followed them out, we became concerned. They went clear out into a store at least 50-60 feet away and were climbing on a display. I went and stood with them while my husband went around the play area looking for an adult missing two little girls. We quickly realized there was no adult in there with them. Mall security was called. About a half hour later this woman shows up looking for them. She had been shopping! The mall was packed that day! They could have been gone and she would have never known it! To make matters worse, the little girls were friends, only one was her child, and did not even speak English (they were Asian). I never knew what happened, but I thought she should have been charged with child endangerment!
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 12:34 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• i used to work in a clothing/toy store, and the parents there did the same thing. i dont know how many times we had to search for someones parents b/c the kids couldnt find them. drove me insane, im not a babysitter dont park your stroller by the cash register and think that i'm going to watch your kid. and of course i ALWAYS ended up keeping an eye out b/c you never do know and i'd feel awful.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:25 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I agree. Or she could have left them in the car while she was shopping like so many other mothers do. Great parenting..some people aren't fit to have a dog no less a child.
    legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 12:26 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• parents these days act like the cashier is their babysitter. I always have people ask if they can leave their kid while they run out to their car. I have to tell them no, and then they get pissed cause they have to "haul" their kid around! don't bring your kid out if you can't handle it!!
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 12:27 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• oh it gets better, she left her purse with them too... like her little boys could have fought off someone trying to steal that... andddd she even said thank you to me like it was my job!
    walkthisway522

Answer by walkthisway522 at 12:28 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• omg i would have lost it! i loved it when i was finally a manager, i used to walk up to parents who did that and say im sorry is that your child, when i knew perfectly well it was. then when they looked at me funny i'd say, well i'm asking everyone and if no one claims the child i have to call security, wouldn't want the poor thing kidnapped. they'd get all flustered or they'd get pissy and leave. whatever i don't have time to watch your kids at work and either did any of the other people i worked with. that is why we leave our kids at home
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:31 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• wow, mishelly, that is a crazy story, atleast you watched them, that mother better be thankful. and the mother of the friend better be twice as thankful! my son is only 2 months, i dont even walk away from the cart at the grocery store! you just never know.
    walkthisway522

Answer by walkthisway522 at 12:38 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I have to admit. I have asked a cashier to watch my boys for a minute, when she wasn't very busy. However there's a slight difference. She was also my MIL!! LOL. I know she would have told me no if she had any problem with it, and obviously I know her and can trust her. But that's the only time. To ask a complete stranger, no way. Rude AND dangerous.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 1:07 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I was in a Walmart fairly late in the evening one time and had to go to the bathroom. I was in the one back by the layaway in the back of the store, with nobody around. As I was washing my hands I saw this woman back in, fighting with her cart sort of angling it up by the door, then the door shut and she went into a stall. I remember thinking, ok, kind of weird, but whatever.

Then, when I left, I saw she had left her BABY (and I mean BABY, in a car seat / carrier combo) IN the cart, OUTSIDE the bathroom! I didn't know what to do - I didn't want to leave the baby alone to go try to find a clerk, and I didn't want to just walk off, so I stood there until she came out. I admit I was sort of nasty about it and gave her a look and said "your welcome for watching your baby when you left it alone!" and walked off.

She was in there awhile - I could have had that kid in my car and been gone before she knew it!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:59 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• When I worked at walmart i noticed that a lot of people just let their kids go to the toy section while they do their shopping. I know almost all the employees that work at all my walmarts in the area and they all say that now when that happens the kids get taken to the customer service counter and they call the police on the spot. I'm glad they started doing that because you can't depend on someone who is working to look after them they have other things to take care of. So I know how a lot of you feel. I think it's a shame people are like that.
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 1:59 AM on Apr. 10, 2009