How many times is it okay to take benadryl when you're pregnant?

I'm 12 weeks pregnant, and I'm having a rough go with some allergies. I think it might be a cold, since my nose is stuffy one minute and runny the next. Plus, I've been coughing up a storm. I've taken benadryl a few times, but I have found myself taking it a not every night, but it feels like it. I just don't want to harm the baby, but I'm really suffering from coughing so much and not being able to breathe through my nose. If it helps its the kids Triaminc night time medicine. So its not even the adult stuff.

Sarah2116

Asked by Sarah2116 at 12:31 AM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Benadryl is generally believed to be safe during pregnancy. Certainly safer than most drugs. I would use it sparingly though just because there really aren't any human tests. It is proven safe in animals, but that doesn't always mean anything KWIM? http://www.safefetus.com/DrugDetail.asp?DrugId=46&TradeName=Benadryl%20Allergy%20Relief&TradeId=5164
    Lilbeamercomin

Answer by Lilbeamercomin at 12:36 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Benadryl is what my doctor told me to take for my allergies. It's generally considered to be safe. Not being able to breathe properly is a lot more dangerous for your baby.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 12:43 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• i would call the dr. and find out
    Leilany1019

Answer by Leilany1019 at 12:49 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Have you tried a humidifier or vaporizer?
    Lilbeamercomin

Answer by Lilbeamercomin at 12:51 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Ask your pharmacist. They are far more knowledgeable in the drug department than physicians are, and don't mind researching answers for you.

MizKizzy

Answer by MizKizzy at 12:51 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Always ask your doctor! that is the safest thing you can possible do for the sake of your and your unborn child..
    BabyMama35802

Answer by BabyMama35802 at 12:54 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Definitely check with your doc or pharmacist, but Benadryl is generally considered safe.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:54 AM on Apr. 10, 2009