do you think it is right to force your child to have the same religion as you?

i think religion is very personal. and my religion is not always accepted by society. but i think its better to educate your child about religions in general and let them decide there own path. what do you think?

nvr_wise_enuff

Asked by nvr_wise_enuff at 1:00 AM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• in my case, my husband and i do not attend church regularly, however my husband and i are both catholic and were raised that way. we have not choosen that as our paths. my daughter though was baptised and will go to sunday school and go through the other catholic sacraments up until the teenage years one which will be her choice. in the catholic religion you can't be married in a their church unless you are confirmed, and you cant be confirmed w/o the other sacraments. this is why we will do this. we want to find a sunday school that is not based on a specific religion though, that way she just learns the bible and its background and she can make the choice
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 1:04 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• we are not religious. but i do plan on teaching my children the basics of several of the more common religions, and allowing them to make their own choices, and we will encourage whatever they chose to believe
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 1:05 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I believe exposing your child to other religions in a postive light is a very healthy, loving thing to do. It gives the child a chance to make a personal choice when they are ready. I see nothing wrong with taking your child to church but allow them the freedom to explore other religions if they should so choose. I know that is not a popular idea of parenting for some but it's just my opinion.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 1:07 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I'm not going to teach on kids about religion because that's not what its about. Its about a relationship with Jesus Christ.... That's what its all about

hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 1:10 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• My husband and I aren't religious but both of our families are. Mine is catholic and his is baptist (I think?). We're going to let our kids explore any religion they want, as long as they don't try to convert mommy and daddy. Both families would also get the kids to try to guilt-trip us into going back to church.
    AmberBrat

Answer by AmberBrat at 1:11 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• See, I know that what I believe is the Truth or I wouldn't believe it, so why would I not want my children to have the Truth? it's not like dessert, I'll have the Chocolate cake, what are you having?
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 1:19 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• hun theres no proof any religion is the truth and if there way we would all believe in that one. either way you cant force a person to believe in somthing thats not what religion even is. if its forced it not true believing it fear .
    nvr_wise_enuff

Answer by nvr_wise_enuff at 1:27 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I will expose my daughter to every religion, explain to her anything she wants to know in the best way I can and tell her that she will have to research to make her own beliefs one day. But, she will know that Mommy and Daddy are Buddhist. I think every child should be able to choose what they believe and not have it forced upon them.
    LeoneLover13

Answer by LeoneLover13 at 2:15 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• i truley think god should be know in everyone lives. religion should be a choice becouse every religion is not for everyone. Im going to let my children decide on ther own what religion they want, but as long as im going to church they are going with me.
    poetry911

Answer by poetry911 at 2:16 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Haven't we all been someone's child?? Do we not all remember still that no matter what WE want- our child will decide for themselves... and if pushed too hard in one direction- they will often push back-HARD- and go the other way... just a thought...
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 3:36 AM on Apr. 10, 2009