Keeps rolling over in crib..SIDS...help!

He's almost 5 and a half months old, just starting flipping from back to front like crazy. Wasn't worried till he started doing it in his crib while sleeping. I've come in to check on him loads of times and every time he's flipped back on his belly. It's really cute that he can move now, and that he likes sleeping on his belly. But, obviously the bigger concern is if it's safe for him. I keep putting him on his back, but not only does it wake him most of the time, but I have to sleep eventually. If he's going to flip while I'm asleep....will he be ok? nothing else is in his crib with him, he has nothing but the mattress that could possibly smother him. he has been ok so far.... I'm still scared.

Adeline1210

Asked by Adeline1210 at 1:06 AM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my daughter did the same thing. i asked my doctor b/c i would wake up in a panic in the middle of the night, he said she was big enough to the point where if she could not breath she would turn her face to be able to. but to keep things out of the crib (which you already do) b/c she could get herself tangled in something and not be able to get out. he said to continue to put her down on her back and if she flipped herself over not to worry about it.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 1:09 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• my son is a belly sleeper, hes only 2 months. as long as hes strong even to lift his head he should be ok. it makes me nervous every night, but when he was sleeping on his back he would spit up and choke on it, i dont know which is worse!
    walkthisway522

Answer by walkthisway522 at 1:09 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• you can buy one of those divider things that keep them in whatever position you lay them in. theyre cheap too
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 1:09 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Our dr said that if he can flip over by himself there isn't much to do but put him on his back to begin with then if he rolls over anyway it should be ok.
    Make sure there isn't anything in the crib he could suffocate on/in. Like extra blankets or stuffed animals. I dressed my babies in a sleep sack so that I didn't even have to give them a blanket in their crib.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:09 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I thought about the divider thing...but I want him to be able to feel free when he sleeps, not restricted....
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 1:10 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• He's fine to roll over. Let him be
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:11 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• yeah he's fine. when they're able to roll over from back to belly, they normally can lift their head really well, then sleeping on their belly is fine. our natural instinct when we get smothered is to get air, even when we're asleep. so if they put their face in the mattress and feel smothered, then their natural instinct will to be to turn their head and breath. so don't worry, he's fine
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 1:16 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• As long as he's not laying with his face straight down into the mattress and there are no blankets, pillows, stuffed animals, etc in there than he can breathe just fine. When you check on him and he's on his belly, is his face at least turned to the side? Even if it isn't, chances are he'll move it at some point. Babies know when they need to breathe and as long as they are capable of moving into a position to get air (like your baby obviously is since he can roll over) than everything will be fine!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 1:38 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• my daughter started doing the same thing at that age.as long as baby can roll over from front to back with ease i would say that baby is just fine.it freaked me out to but my daughter is over 8 months now and is just fine.babies muscles are stronger and lungs are stronger so breathing is easyer too.if you worried talk to your pedi.good luck!
    rockmama420

Answer by rockmama420 at 3:38 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• If he's flipping over on his own, he's probably fine. Once you pass the 4 month mark, your SIDS risk is reduced DRAMATICALLY. Just make sure there are no blankets, bumpers, stuffed animals, etc to restrict air flow. My son REFUSED to sleep on his back. He's 7 months now, and just does what's comfy for him. You can check with your doctor, but the general rule is that once they can roll over on their own, they're okay if they go on their tummy on their own. Just keep checking in periodically.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:54 AM on Apr. 10, 2009