when did your baby give up the bottle?

i know they say 1 year but when did you actually do it and how did you do it? like did you take the bottle cold turkey or slowely phase it out,

lmaines22

Asked by lmaines22 at 1:08 AM on Apr. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• we went cold turkey at 10 months and she was fine with it. if she hadn't been we would have tried phasing it out, but figured we'd try cold turkey first and it worked
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 1:10 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• i went to training sippy cups at 6 months as long as they have handels she did fine. We used the nubby kind from babies r us
    mamanpnk

Answer by mamanpnk at 1:21 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• hahahhaha, my daughter loooooooooved her bottle!!!!!!!!!! i dont believe in sippy cups, so she never had those, she never had a soother..so i allowed her to be on the bottle for a lil while longer..lol...if it was up to her, she never woulda given it up!! she had a bottle til she was a lil over 2 yrs old..but it was only once a day..at night time..and when i did decide it was time to take it away i had a talk with her, and i took it away cold turkey..first night was rough, but after that she was fine!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:59 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• We gave them sippy cups at 6 months and stopped the bottle as soon as they showed they could drink from it.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:19 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• 9 months
    he was happy and good with the sippy so i took advantage of that :)
    i started giving him the sippy w/water around 5 mo all the time so he would play w/it & eventually figured it out :)
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 5:29 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• If I were you, I would let the kid have the bottle. My son had his till HE was ready to give it up. Bottles, especially if they are filled with milk, are a comfort for babies and toddlers. So I wasn't going to take a comfort from him. He took juice and water out of a sippy but wanted his milk in a bottle. He gave his bottle up in December; he was 2.5 years old exactly. His teeth are perfect too. I had my bottle till I was 4 and my teeth are fine. And the AAP even says...

"Many mothers are bottle-feeding their children beyond age 2, even though pediatricians often recommend the bottle be given up by 12 to 18 months, according to a California study of 191 healthy full-term infants.

Researchers found 42 percent of 2- to 3-year-olds were fed about three bottles a day, and 16 percent of 3- to 4-year-olds were given an average of 2.1 bottles a day."
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:21 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• one year for my son... my daughter at 9 months, she refused them herself. My 8 month old now, she is slowly weening also.
    IceMistress105

Answer by IceMistress105 at 9:45 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• 13 months for my youngest two. My older three where on til age 2 but that was the standard procedure back in 1986. It was much harder to break them of it at that age. My two youngest took it like a champ. However I did not make the rookie mistake of giving bottles just before bed or let them have them in bed so they did not associate sleep with a bottle. My kids were only on bottles for a short period as I mostly nursed them, so that may have helped.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:04 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• My son was almost 2 when he gave it up. Yeah yeah I know they shouldn't take a bottle after their 1 but their only little for a short time, what's the big deal. If letting them take a bottle past 1 is the worst thing you do as a parent then hell your way ahead of some parents out there.
    Julia0331

Answer by Julia0331 at 10:07 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• My son loved his bottle. He needed it to fall asleep. At 1 1/2 I started putting just water in it thinking that he wouldn't want it any more. It didn't work. He still needed it only at night. He would cry without it, and I am weak, so I let him have it. Finally, last week (at 3 1/2!) he said, "bottles are for babies, I a big boy. Throw it away" And that has been it. It made him happy, I don't really see what the big deal was.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:11 PM on Apr. 13, 2009