my younger cousin female is 18 has bipolar, any advice

she making the wrong decisions and i scared she going to in up losing her life; i don't want that. She been through some tough tyme. I'm really trying to be there but its very very hard and i dont know how to cope.

poetry911

Asked by poetry911 at 1:14 AM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

• ... what?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:15 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• i understand what you mean. i have struggled with bipolar my whole life and im only 19 but i finally got it under control. but when you are having a manic episode or you are depressed its hard to make sense of anything anybody is saying. the best thng you can do is sit down and talk to her without getting angry. and much as some of the things she say may make absolutly no sense and you can see her getting worked up over nothing or you see her try to rationalize something that is dangerous dont get angry. let her know you are there if things go wrong. and try to talk to one of her close friends and have them keep an eye on her. i did so many stupid things. i got expelled from schools. got in fights, got into drugs, cut myself, pretty much everything an emotionally unstable teen can do. just be there for her not over top of her and when things fall apart she will come to you. i learned the hard way and she may have to too.
    nvr_wise_enuff

Answer by nvr_wise_enuff at 1:23 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I am Bi-Polar... Buy the book Bipolar Disorder for Dummies... It's a HUGE help!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:40 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Try reading Stop Walking on Eggshells

Answer by admckenzie at 11:13 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• my 26 yr old son is sitting in jail i had him picked up on 72 hr med hold still in jail no place wants to take him anger /bipolor/borderline disorder hes not to happy with me yells about 72hr turn into 60 days some times you just have to watch them fall some times you have to intervine and hope u did ok

nanalove777

Answer by nanalove777 at 12:44 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Here's a helpful website.  Then order some free hard copies on the subject.  Might want to visit forums such as this oneAlso, visit your local library for books.  Best of Luck. 

cm08

Answer by cm08 at 9:16 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• is she actually medical diagnosed?
    Anonymous

• Educate yourseld as much as possible and do not ever turn your back on her. I am diagnosed with bipolar and I have essentially lost my whole family but my mother. Episodes come and go and when I'm fine, I'm fine and I need my family. Remember it is an illness and during the hard times is probably when she needs you most.
    lyrick24

Answer by lyrick24 at 6:57 AM on May. 2, 2009