what are c sections like?

Im on my second child and I have to have a c-section because he's breech! my first daughter I had her without an epidural. Surgery makes me nervous

treali23

Asked by treali23 at 1:22 AM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• you get a spinal block so you still feel them kinda pulling but it doesn't hurt. it only takes about 30-45 mins if that. they put a curtain right below your chest so you cant see anything. afterwards; it hurts to laugh (put a pillow over the incision and it makes it a little better). the surgery itself didn't bother me it was the recovery part that sucks. you cant eat real food for a day or so (liquid diet), it hurts to be in a car and hit any kind of bump, if you jump up in bed you always have to worry about if you opened something. if you have any questions message me
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 1:25 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• i was very nervous about it. you dont feel anything except you feel them pushing on your belly, like lots of pressure. right afterwards, i got really sick and felt like i was throwing up. but i didnt. the heeling process is really easy. i got up and walked the same day i got the c section.which is great. try to walk as soon as you can.also. i had a binder thing wrapped around my incision around my whole abdomen area and it made it a LOT more comfortable to move around. so ask for one of those if you dont get one.

i was in the hospital for 5 days and felt fully healed by 3 weeks. but you still have to be careful moving around because the inside doesnt heal as fast as the outside.

when you get your staples out dont be nervous it doesnt hurt at ALL
    you can write me and ask questions if you want :)
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 1:25 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I have had 3 c-sections. With all three, all I felt during the surgery was pulling, tugging, and pressure but no pain. Afterward, when the pain meds wore off, there was pain. It hurt to laugh and it was hard to move. But once I started walking around it got better. With my first 2, I was off pain meds by day 5 and within a month was pretty much back to normal. With my last, I had had a c-section just 14 months prior, plus I had my tubes tied. I was in more pain and took almost all my pain meds. It did take me about a month and half to get back to normal. But I would go through it all again if I could go back in time.
    palexander

Answer by palexander at 1:31 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• my cousin just had one a week and a half ago...she is still in alot of pain. So I know recoverty is a b**ch. She made sure NO ONE other than her husband held the baby til she got to...i think you should also think about things like this.
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 1:35 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• ask them if they use the "glue" (i'm not sure of the medical term), instead of stitches and staples. i had that with my son, and it was awsome. i had staples with my dd and it was horrible. (2 different hospitals). everyone heals differently. also, after you have the c/s, ask for a binder, if they don't have it, then use a pillow. you're going to want to press the pillow on you belly for when you have to cough or laugh. i had friends come visit me and made me laugh. i was laughing but in pain at the same time...so hard to explain lol. as for the rest of it, the pp's are right. GL

oh, and you can only have 1 person in there with you, you'd have to ask the policy on cameras and what kind, ect. each hospital has different policies.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:35 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

YES, i also did this. i had tons of people in the waiting room, and before i went in, i told the nurses, the doctor, and my husband that HE is the only one allowed to hold the baby until i could, well except the nurses and doctor of course. they should let you kiss your baby before she has to go to the nursery though. i got to with my son. they had to put me in twilight sleep with my dd cuz the epi wouldnt' take at all, and they tried to wake me but i only woke up for a few seconds. i don't really even remember it.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 1:38 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• it was great, no pain for me, the only thing that gave me pain was the freakin nurse pressing on my tummy with all her force two days later!
    kimaam

Answer by kimaam at 1:44 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• You really don't feel much, except some tugging and pulling, which is normal. Once the baby comes out, it will be kind of a blur, thanks to the meds they give you while they stitch you up. Recovery went well, I was almost back to normal after two weeks. I was back walking around then (not walking around, but actually going on long walks). One thing I wasn't expecting was that it was painful to pee for a few weeks after (not a UTI). I had the glue, too, and they had staples in as well, which they removed before I left the hospital (so no Frankenstein scars). It didn't hurt at all having them removed. The only bad part in the hospital was when they "massage" your tummy to help your uterus shrink back and help the bleeding subside. I also breastfed, and we did have a few problems in the first few weeks (we'd had a tough labor, though, and an emergency c-section), but we were able to work through it, and have EBF'ed since.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:52 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Its not as bad as you think. You wont feel a single thing. A little pressure and thats it. My daughter was breech too and they put their hand way up by your rib cage to get the head out. I thought it was a cool/crazy feeling. I giggled and said "WOAH!" when they did it. The healing process takes about 3 weeks. I was walking around like crazy they day after I had it. Just DONT LAUGH!!!! That shit hurts like a bitch lol
    tawnbond

Answer by tawnbond at 4:47 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I had a c-section. The next morning I was up walking around. It was hard to stand up straight as I thought my intestines would fall out of me. Walking, peeing, laughing was hard. After they take the catheter out go pee even if you don't think you need to. Empty your bladder anyway. You need to get used to using those muscles again.
    I was back on patrol-full duty at 4 weeks after having a c-section. It hurt but when you're a single parent what can you do? Gotta work. I put on a girdle, got my uniform on and went back on patrol. Being in the squad car was hard when you have to reach for something, turn the wrong way and you feel your stomach pull. Not good. But I made it.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 7:49 AM on Apr. 10, 2009