Is your kid a label whore?

What is it about teens that they have to have the most expensive thing in the store? I took my kid Easter shopping and let him pick out some new shoes for our trip to DC in a few weeks. $175 for a pair of tennis shoes. I have never spent less then $100 on a pair of his jeans. Does anyone else have this with their kid? And to top it off it's a boy!

ronjwake

Asked by ronjwake at 1:36 AM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I'm kinda this way now, I mean I like the more expensive jeans and shoes because they last longer and I'm more likely to take care of them. Boys are just silly.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 1:47 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• my DD is too young for this problem lol...she would rather be in just a diaper lol.

But my lil brother is that way he is 13...they just want to be cool. Try shopping during sale times...or online.
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 1:39 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Yep mine is 13 also. He don't really care about being cool, he likes to be the first with anything new. Drives me insane.
    Enjoy the diapers! LOL
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 1:42 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• ur just stupid to pay that much what a waist
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:43 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• how old is he? if hes at least 12 this summer would be the perfect time to have him start earning money himself, he can cut yards, clean yards, walk dogs, that kind of thing. then it will make him realize just how much that $100 took to earn. aside from that i would give him a set limit for clothes shopping, say $600 if he wants to get all the big label stuff then he only gets a few things. if he can look around and find sales and what not then he gets more.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 1:43 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Ha. If he can't help me buy it, he doesn't get it. I give my children what they need, and am fine with splurging here and there but I'll be damned if my kids think I'm going to shell out that much money for shoes. If he wants to get a job and at least pay half for it than by all means...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:44 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I cant believe someone would call YOU stupid...and then spell your ur!!! HA HA
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 1:45 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• No, I do not teach my children to be this way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:45 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• why did you give in to a pair of shoes that were $175??? you should have him earn allowance and if he wants something that expensive, make him use his OWN money that he had to work for!
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 1:47 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Anon: Do spell check then proceed with the name calling please!
    As far as teaching him to be this way, yes I like nicer things, I can afford them and if I want them then I will have them, period. And yes, the clothes I buy him last him longer then the cheaper ones that is for sure!
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 1:51 AM on Apr. 10, 2009