need tips/advice on breastfeeding

so i didn't breastfeed with my first, i plan on trying it with this baby. so what i want to know, is what do i NEED to get, i mean when it comes to bras, tops, pumps, creams that kind of thing? and how long after you start BFing can you pump? and (TMI maybe) do you leak when you have sex? and i mean when your milk comes in do your breasts stay that big? i mean mine got huge when the milk came in with my daughter, do they stay that big the whole time you BF? and any other tips or ideas or anything that will make it a little easier on me. thanks

vabchmommy

Asked by vabchmommy at 1:39 AM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• A Breastfeeding pillow (like a boppy) is helpful. Slings are awesome for breastfeeding on the go. Also, instead of getting nursing tops you can get something called a milk shirt. Google it. Then you don't have to buy a whole bunch of nursing tops. Other helpful things are lanolin cream, nursing pads. The more you pump milk (or the more you nurse the baby) the more milk will come in. Be sure to nurse often (every two hours for a newborn). Also, alternate the side that you use. If you really want to stick with this and don't really know what you are doing I really recommend going to La Leche League or some form of breastfeeding class so you know what to expect. I think that it is totally worth it. It's hard to stick to because you have to give so much of yourself and be so devoted, but it's rewarding.

Hope this helps!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:46 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• i am signed up for a class at my hospital but i would just feel dumb if i had a bunch of stupid questions in the middle of a class. especially since this is my second and youd think i would have bf my first
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 1:49 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I strongly suggest that you get the book "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding." It's full of lots of great info and tips. You can use the ones that apply to you and ignore the ones that don't really work for you and your family.

Good luck with it, and remember, while some women have an easy time from day one, for others, nursing can get off to a rocky start, but if that happens for you, keep in mind that it does get easier :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:51 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I needed: Electric Double breast pump, reusable breast pads (I got about 8 pairs and just throw them in with the wash), nursing tanks, nursing bras (but your size will change so don't go crazy buying them), and the Breastfeeding Mom's Group...that one is awesome!
    I think I do leak during sex. At first that was odd and I actually kept a towel between our chests, lol. But then we got used to it and didn't care. Sometimes I just choose to keep my bra on
    My breasts have stayed big and I'm into my 6th month of bf'ing.
    The biggest tip I can give you is, what you think is wrong probably isn't, lol. Ask the moms in the BF'in group ANYTHING and they always have the answer.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 1:58 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• i think every woman is different when it comes to some things. i didnt leak during sex, my breasts did get smaller after each feeding, then would fill up again. lanolin cream is great. definatly get some of that. there are numbers you can call jsut search like breast feeding support. when you have your baby, & you tell them you want to try to breastfeed, they usually will ask you if you want a consultant to come in and help you and they show you how to get the baby to latch on and keep the baby awake while you are nursing, like rubbing its feet and cheeks and stuff to keep it awake. my experiences with them were amazing and a big help. just be persistant! keep trying,it didnt come easy for me but it is so rewarding! and it helps your uterus contract faster & it gives your baby your imunities. it helps their immune system, & there are so many pros to breast feeding. i believe they are smarter too. sorry ppl but true! good luck!
    trelyn

Answer by trelyn at 2:01 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Breastfeeding moms are always helpful! so i dont think you should be embarassed to ask anything! and now that i think about it, i did leak during sex, but not anymore than i did when my breasts were full. i really hope you get a really joyful experience!
    trelyn

Answer by trelyn at 2:05 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Nursing bras, pads, Lansinoh.

There's a sticky on the breastfeeding Moms Group's resources Forum on pump recommendations.

Likely you will leak...most of the time!

Size may change or not.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:17 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Oh. And the ONLY stupid question is the one you were afraid to ask.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:18 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Check out llli.org, and try to attend a meeting or two before you have the baby to get some local resources. Also find out if your hospital has lactation consultants/specialists on staff. You can start shopping for nursing bras toward the end of your pregnancy, go with what fits then. You can get a pump that fits your needs if you like. Some Lanolin is nice to have as well (just one tube will be plenty). For tops, I just wear a spaghetti strap tank under whatever shirt I wear (loose enough to pull up), and it keeps me well covered when I nurse in public. The only time your breasts are that big is when you're engorged. Early morning it's common. You may leak when you orgasm, or not, but it's likely. I found the Boppy was cumbersome, and I just use a variety of pillows to get comfy wherever I am. PM me if you have questions, if you like; I'm a lactation specialist.
    When you finish nursing, each time, spread some milk over
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:47 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• your nipples, let that dry, then put on the lanolin. It will help keep you from getting an infection. Nursing may hurt the first few weeks, but this will pass. Remember, you hear about people regretting bottle feeding, but you never hear of someone wishing they hadn't breastfed. Be persistent, and reach out for help if you encounter any problems. Let your baby drain one breast completely before starting on the other, so they get the hind milk. Refrigerate pumped milk before freezing it. Get your baby used to taking pumped milk from a bottle early, otherwise, they may reject it. Try to be patient when you're both learning. It can take work, but it's totally worth it!!! Best of luck to you!! =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:50 AM on Apr. 10, 2009