I just got a 7 wk old. cutey, itty, bitty baby chihuahua mix!

OK, I am an animal lover but a bad animal parent. I have had 2 chihuahuas stolen (especially because of that movie Beverly Hills Chihuahua). Well, I had no plans of getting another dog ( we have had a terrier mix for 7 years) but, awww, I had a bad day at work and when I walked into the office a mom of a student was GIVING away! not selling (which I would have just turned away because I fall in love with babies) giving away what she knows to be chihuahua and says 1/2 boxer, I think pug. Anyway, I really want to train this baby to poop and pee outside. I want him indoors mostly becasue someone WILL steal him! Any quick tips to deal with him peeing and pooping on the carpet I have only had him for 8 hrs. He whimpers for everything so IDK if it is because he wants warmth or to pee/poop. I'm not a big fan of rubbing his nose in it and swatting him. Any advice about ANYTHING is welcome!

Gigi1969

Asked by Gigi1969 at 1:43 AM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Pets

• At 7 weeks old, he is still too young to housetrain. He's not whining because he has to pee/poop. That would reflect that he is already housebroken and that he needs to urinate/deficate, but cannot access the proper area to do so. When you do housebreak him, the best and easiest way is to use a crate, but do it correctly, or it won't work.

But at 7 weeks old, he shouldn't have even left his mom for another week. I really think this is the reason he's whining. Do some research on having a puppy that young. There will be some behavior problems that he will probably develop because he was taken away so young, so be aware of them.

Congrats on your little one, and be really careful of those theives...don't let your dog out of your sight outside!
    Kauna

Answer by Kauna at 2:29 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• whatever you do do it now! my chihuhua mix is 3 and he still sometimes has problems with not asking to go out. i would take him out every 30 mins or so. reward him lots when he does go outside (treats, hugs etc) i really dont know though b/c obviously i didnt do a good job w/mine
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 1:45 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I would try puppy pads if you dont want him to be out side, they are easy to clean and he doesnt have to let you know he has to go
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 1:48 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Yeah I was going to say puppy pads too. I've never had a dog, but that's what all of my friends/family have used and their dogs are trained. Good luck. I'm sooo jealous, I want a puppy so bad.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:53 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• With my Jack Russell, we hung a bell on a long string, on the door. Every time we took her out, she heard the bell, and now she rings it herself when she needs to go outside. You have to take them out always after playing and eating and just many times throughout the day. It's a pain, but you have to just stick with it and they will eventually get it! GL!
    BritlovesAva

Answer by BritlovesAva at 2:42 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• If you just got him, he is probably wimpering because it is so new, not around his regular environment and wants attention and you to hold him more so than needing to go outside. But you should still take him out pretty often. Like every hour, two at the most. Puppy pads work for lots of dogs. Didn't for mine. He always missed them, and the best advice is crate train. But him in it when you leave, and let him out immediatly to go out when you get home. And crate him at night until he learns no tto go inside , or just take him out throughout the night. But i did the crate. After 2 or 3 days hw will prob stop whipering when he gets comfortable with his surroundings, and start to play. Good Luck, and congrats.
    Anonymous

• Thank you ladies, I will update.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 1:07 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I'm trying to picature a chihuahua mixed with a boxer or a pug. I hope you put up pics as he grows.
    chihuahua's are known for being smart but very tempermental. I strongly suggest crating them till they get the idea of going out to pee/poop too. I never did till I got a German Shepherd and he trained really fast with the crate (I leave the door open during the day and he is free to come and go and he loves going in there and hanging out and nap so it's not like a prison, it's like his own bedroom with his bed and his toys in it. He's crying because he's been taken away from his mother and siblings. We normally just let the dogs sleep with us after a little while but at first I would take off my socks every night put them in the box that the puppy slept in so that they'd smell me there, and they're really cold natured, so they need towels, baby blankets to keep warm.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 9:22 PM on Apr. 11, 2009