i need to know if anyone has a solution to removing candle wax from my carpeting

i just moved into a new apt, naturally i had to put a nice deposit down on the place. i was only here about two days when i accidently spilled candle wax on the carpet. my carpet is your average apt. carpetining. it is not a thick plush type. so i'm hoping there's still a chance to remove it or at least make it less noticable

sherri107

Asked by sherri107 at 6:09 AM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Grab some paper towels.. and your iron. Set the iron on low (just hot enough to melt the wax, not burn the carpet) place a folded paper towel over the wax and place iron on top of it. the wax should melt and the towel absorb the melted wax, move the paper towel frequently so you can absorb the wax. continue to do this till most or all of the wax is gone.. then if there is color left (usually from dye in the inexpensive candles) treat the stain with carpet pretreat or a laundry pre treat (like shout) allow to sit for 30 mins or so and shampoo or scrub the spot.. This should get rid of it or at least make it WAY less noticable! Good luck!

Tzutchka

Answer by Tzutchka at 9:31 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Let the wax harden, then put ice on it, the wax will get brittle and break off the carpet. I have used this method on clothing and other things that I have gotten wax on.
    cheesybite

Answer by cheesybite at 7:30 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Try take an ice cube and frezzing the wax,use a butter knife to scrape the wax off.

lococlasby

Answer by lococlasby at 9:50 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Ice? Heat? Now I'm all confused. It's like figuring out what to put on a strained muscle, ice or heat? I'd call a carpet cleaner or carpet "doctor" and just ask the experts.
    Anonymous

• I would try ice first because if the carpet is nylon you could really damage it

scrape as much as you can off with a knife and the put the ice in a bag and set it on there you don't need wax and water LOL
    CSRodriguez

Answer by CSRodriguez at 1:29 AM on Apr. 12, 2009