How can I get my 5 week old daughter to sleep at night instead of during the day?

She sleeps all day. I try to keep her awake but she gets really upset cause shes tired so I let her sleep. No matter what me and my husband try, she doesn't sleep at night. We Need Help

Mommy_Massey

Asked by Mommy_Massey at 6:31 AM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My Pedi told me to try to keep her awake longer in the day and wake her up earlier when she naps. Then try to put her to bed later so she will sleep longer. She may get cranky when u wake her up from her naps though. It's worked for me and my 4 month old sleeps through most nights. I felt bad trying to keep her awake and waking her from some of her naps but it was worth it.
    heartstrength

Answer by heartstrength at 7:16 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Keep her up during the day is right. You have to switch her sleep cycle. Tylenol helps. Just don't use it everyday all the time. My son was about that age, so cranky from being tired and he had a cold. I gave him a small bit of tylenol and he slept most of the night. That's what started switching his cycle for when to sleep and when to be awake.

Also when your baby cries in the morning don't rush to go get her. Extend it each morning by about 10 minutes each. Self soothing is a big deal and she needs to know she's fine by herself.

1 nap during the day is cool. I put my son to bed around 8pm and we have always stuck with that. If you put your daughter to bed super early she will wake up just as early too. Try one day of lots of parks, playing, being busy, feed her a big dinner and give her a warm bath with lavendar baby oil in it. Lavendar lotion works wonders too. See if that won't help her get a full night's rest.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 7:24 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• My baby is one month as well. What i do to keep her awake more often is, she gets floor time, belly time, i talk to her, i just keep trying different ways. I bath her in the evenings and i also use the lavender to help relax her. She usually will sleep 4or 5 hours straight before she wakes up for her middle of the night feeding. Message me any time if you need any advice, i can try to my best, as our babies are close to the same age. Add me as a friend if you like. Good Luck!
    LilStar9905

Answer by LilStar9905 at 7:46 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I would follow what the other ladies said in addition to trying to make her as uncomfortable as possible when you want her to be awake. Don't swaddle her, or let her get in a comfy outfit. The more uncomfortable she is, the less likely she'll be to fall asleep. To keep my daughter awake during feedings I would strip her down to her diaper and keep a cold glass so I could have a chilly hand to put on her belly if she fell asleep at the breast. Harsh... but it helped regulate her sleep schedule as well as get enough nutrition. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:55 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I know they are telling ya to keep her up and im sure THATS what you are doing.. I say dont put her in anything that is super cumfy and soft.. NO: swing, bouncy seat.. Tru to get her in a schedual.. it never to early to start.. They do need a ton of sleep but at night would be helpfull.. Dont run the vacuum eather they really like the sound, do things you wouldnt normaly do during the day..
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 9:01 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Keep it bright in the house during the day, and at night when you go to get her only turn on a small light so she learns the difference between night and day. That's what I did with my daughter and she just caught on, she still took a lot of naps during the day and slept 6 or 7 hours straight at night. The bath also helps too, a good nightime routine.
    MomAt15woah

Answer by MomAt15woah at 9:08 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• OMG, do not use Tylenol to get a child to sleep. WTH.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• As others have suggested, try to keep her awake as much as you can during the day. Change her diaper a lot to wake her up. I have a 3 wk. old, and she likes to sleep most of the day. I have to wake her up to nurse her. As soon as I start undoing her clothes to change her diaper, she wakes right up. After the diaper change, she's ready to eat. She usually goes back to sleep after she eats, but we don't keep it quiet in the house (I have 7 other kids that are home all day since we homeschool) in the daytime so she will begin to know the difference between night and day. At night, we keep the lights turned down low and try to keep things mellow. It takes most newborns awhile to sort it all out, but it WILL happen eventually, so don't worry about it.
    Godluvzu

Answer by Godluvzu at 9:57 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• She is only 5 weeks old. Follow her cues. Let her sleep when she needs to. You sleep when she sleeps. Keep it dark and quiet at night, bright and active in the day. Sit by a window or take her outside to regulate her circadian rhythms. She will figure it out eventually.
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 9:57 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I agree with TanyaR1024. She's just 5 weeks, she's trying to adjust to life outside the womb. Keep things active, and light during the daytime. At night, everything was quiet, minimal lights, no TV.
    MamaCeleste0722

Answer by MamaCeleste0722 at 10:14 AM on Apr. 10, 2009