has anyone ever forgot or almost forgot their newborn i.e in he car?

Sometimes I get so flustered when I am in a rush that if my baby is sleeping I can forget that she's there if we're in the car. It freaks me out and I feel totally guilty... One time I left her in my brothers office(thank GOD he owns the business) trying to rush and catch the post office before it closed. I was horrified when he called my cell phone to ask "are u missing something". Now I try to look back in the back seat eveytime I get in or out of the car but that incident has left me with a bit of anxiety that it will happen again.

heartstrength

Asked by heartstrength at 7:12 AM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's called being human. The best thing you said is you remember now to look to find her.
    I locked my nephew in my car by accident. I was in college, went to the store and took my nephew with me. When I got out of the car, my habit is to lock it. I walked around the other side of the car to go into the store and I heard giggling. My heart sank, I looked back and there was Lee, laughing in his car seat, locked inside a very hot car.

I ran inside to get someone to unlock my car for me. I was terrified. When the car was opened I took him out of his carseat. He was ringing with sweat but still giggling, just happy to see his Aunt.

It's a horrible feeling. I can relate. I am sure I left my son in the car for a few minutes to get the front door of the house unlocked and run back to go get him. It happens.

But parenting doesn't come with instructions. You'll do just fine.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 7:19 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• can't say I have, and to be honest, I can't understand how it would happen. after being pregnant for 10 months I just didn't feel normal unless they were with me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:22 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I have never forgot my daughter was there lol, but I do randomly imagine that she's IN the car with me, even when she's not. I have had a mini freak out before though: I forgot that her grandma was watching her, and thought I left her in the store when I noticed she wasn't in her seat. I am so used to having her with me, lol.

I did lock her in the car though. I always throw my purse/keys in the front seat while I am getting her in the car. It's just easier for me. Well, I didn't open my door (which I usually always do) and instead just threw them over the seat. I guess my purse hit the lock button on the key and I didn't realize it. As soon as I shut the back door my car beeped.. I freaked out. Thank god it was January in Fl and not August in FL. I called 911 in tears because I was alone at the house.. she was fine. But it was so scary!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 7:28 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I cannot imagine ANYTHING (errands, job, etc.) being MORE important than forgetting that your child is in the car!!!

Unfortunately, though in this fast paced world of our, children have become more of a hindrance than a blessing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:07 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I was so excited about having my little bookies that every 5 minutes seem like I was looking in the rearview mirror. I really can't say that I have forgotten. But you are human and you are not perfect, so don't fret. ; }
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 8:10 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I don't get much time alone when I go out, but my thing is I get in the car and then I think I left the baby in the cart. I have had to think real hard do I have the baby with me or did I leave him with his dad, But my DH on ther hand, he forgets the baby we'll be getting out of the car and start walking away and I'll be like "um the baby?" He forgets he has the baby and I forget that I dont have the baby.
    4boysandmom

Answer by 4boysandmom at 8:20 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Has anyone ever heard of an instance where the parent forgot the child, and the child died???!!! It happens often. It NOT okay! Get your priorities straight woman!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:26 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• No. I've never even come close. My daughter has been by number 1 priority since the day she hit air.
    I bet you remembered your purse, huh?
    If your life is so hectic that it is endangering your child, you need to rethink some things.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:41 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Nope, haven't forgotten about either of my daughters. In fact, I actually hate being in the car without them, now! It just doesn't feel right! Maybe it's 'cause, as newborns, I missed having them in the womb, so I just made up for it by having them with me as much as possible. Even in my most flustered moments, I couldn't even fathom forgetting my kids...I guess some women just get more forgetful than others.

beadingmom17

Answer by beadingmom17 at 8:42 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I can't say that I have ever done it, but I am also finding myself more scatter brained lately, so I hope it doesn't happen to me! I know this is not on the same level, but the other morning I told my babies' teacher that I would take my daughter's carseat out to the office and got so busy giving kisses and making sure they were settled that I walked out and remembered a few miles down the road. Ooops! I guess they are used to mommy brain! I have two three month olds, so I don't think I would forget them though!
    mommystiebler

Answer by mommystiebler at 8:45 AM on Apr. 10, 2009