Scissors

my son has always been a pretty advanced kid for 17 months, so I think he might be able to do it. but I wanted to know about how old every one else's kids were when they started using scissors?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:20 AM on Apr. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• I don't remember how old my DS was, but when I worked at daycare we had the 18 month olds starting to explore with them, get toddlers scissors, be with him everytime to help learn how to hold them and what is and is not okay to cut.

goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 8:58 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Mine were around 3 when I started letting them use scissors supervised.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 7:51 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• My 2 year old uses scissors just fine. All my kids started using them between 2 and 3, when I knew they could sit and not squirm around.
    my4lads

Answer by my4lads at 8:17 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• My daughter is 3 and she uses them pretty well now. I probably let her start using them around 2.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:09 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• My boys were around 3 when they started using them with supervision. They are now 8 & 5, and just starting to be allowed to use them without me sitting right there to supervise.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:28 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• They make plastic scissors that will only cut paper and are safe...that's what my daughter started with when she was 3 and now she is 4 and uses regular scissors.
    drpepper73

Answer by drpepper73 at 10:06 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Make sure they're safety scissors!! Not that you don't already know, but just in case! But it should be fine as long as you're watching him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• DD started around 2.. we got the ones at the dollar tree and they have a little bounce piece between the handles to help them open it back up
    MCKsmomma

Answer by MCKsmomma at 11:48 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• My daughter was very young, probably around 17 months too. Get the round edge ones. She used to cut fringe around a piece of paper. It kept her occupied for a while. Also, cutting play doh is a good way to start.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:04 PM on Apr. 13, 2009