how old to develope autism?

How late in a child's life can they get autism? MY son is 15months just wondering if I should still be looking for signs...and what are the signs? I dont think he is just checking though...thanks ladies!

Bugsmommy1908

Asked by Bugsmommy1908 at 7:20 AM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) cover a wide range of disability--it all depends where in the brain the damage/under development has occurred. For example, a child on the severe end will not have met typical milestones (sitting, walking, etc.), has little/limited eye contact, is rigid, may flap hands or rock to soothe themselves.

Whereas a child on the mild end, may look and act perfectly typical, except they aren't talking age appropriately (this describes my boys). Around 15-18 months is where MOST children start showing signs of autism---but if they're mild, they may not be noticeable until 2-3 years. But there is also a regressive form that can occur in children 3-5 years old. Talking or lack thereof is one of the most predominate signs of autism..here are the other major ones.

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:01 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• oh my son talks great says more words then I thought a 15month old could say...come to think about what you said my neighbor downstairs son is 3 and mumbles never talks when ever we see her she jokes how she doesn't know why he doesn't talk...maybe I should mention this to her? I wouldn't wanna offend her. Somebody probably already mentioned it huh....thank you!
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 8:12 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• if you are concerned about your child, take a look at www.sharethecause.com/hastily/Unseen-Killers   This might be something you might want to consider using, just for better overall health.  message me if you want more info.  Mary

jmcan

Answer by jmcan at 1:39 PM on Apr. 10, 2009