For Mary . . .

No religion bashing please. This is something special and sacred to me, and many other women here. If you are not a believer, I ask that you please be respectful as it pertains to this post.
I sat this morning and watched my 18 month old sleeping in his crib. His tiny hands, his tiny mouth . . . my entire heart filled with love for him. It made me think of Mary, when Jesus was about this age. Did she look at him as I look at my son? Filled with all the awe and wonder that only a mother can know? Did she love him as much as I love mine?

I remembered what today was, and it brought tears to my eyes.

I wonder what it must have been like for her to watch him die. To watch as he was severely tortured, taunted, spat upon, and abused. To sit back, helpless, and watch her son seemingly senselessly ripped from this world. What did she think about when her fellow Jews cried “Crucify him!” (Cont.)

jennijune_21

Asked by jennijune_21 at 8:19 AM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• What did she feel when they dragged him through the street? What went through her mind, and her heart, as she heard the dreaded thump . . . thump . . . thump . . . of the nails being hammered into her son. Or when she turned to her and “the disciple which he loved” asking them to care for each other as mother and son. And when he turned his head to the sky begging God to “forgive them, for they know not what they do”, or when he simply said “it is finished”. What went through her heart then?

I could not have gone through what Mary went through that day. I think I would have died along with him from grief. How did she go through that? How does a mother survive that? I only pray I will never know.

Weather you believe in him as a savior or not, you can't deny the pain his mother must have felt that day.

God's blessings to you all today.

jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 8:21 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Mary knew she had someone SPECIAL when the angel told her in a dream.
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 9:16 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• yes lawla but it would still be hard... love the op btw made me cry :)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:18 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• This is one of those things I reflectt on during Tridium.  In fact I have several lesser known Piatas on my page in case you are interested. 

UltimateGrandma

Answer by UltimateGrandma at 9:22 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I can't imagine what that would have been like for a parent. Any parent. To see one's child being beaten and tortured would have to be worse than the beating itself... I think this applies to ALL parents that were forced to watch things like that. Unfortunatly this was far from the only case.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:00 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Very true, Sabrina.
    Some of the most horrific tortures used were to young women whose parents had to sit helplessly and watch during the trials of the Inquisition and Salem.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 11:18 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• God was with her, and she knew that this was His will. The Lord specifically chose her because she had faith in Him from the beginning.

aMbeR012005

Answer by aMbeR012005 at 11:34 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Answered at 10:34 AM on Apr. 10, 2009 by: aMbeR012005

God was with her, and she knew that this was His will. The Lord specifically chose her because she had faith in Him from the beginning.
    **
    True, but I don't think that made it any easier.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 1:43 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• i can only imagion, when i watch my little one sleep i sometimes think of that too.
    rose549

Answer by rose549 at 8:26 PM on Apr. 13, 2009