What to do now? Dyed my hair last night dark brown but came out almost black

ok ladies... please help! My hair was light brown shade with highlights. Well I wanted to go darker so I picked up this dark brown shade from the store. My hair is now practically black... Is there anyway I could possibly get a lighter shade and re- dye my hair today? Would this work?

Mommyx2BG

Asked by Mommyx2BG at 8:25 AM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• I wouldn't redye it. In a week or so it will lighten up. The best thing I would do is wash your hair more often (ie if you were doing it once try 2-3 times) that was the dye will come out a bit faster. Or try using a clarifying shampoo when you wash as well, it helps to strip away some of the excess dye.
    ColorMeCurvy

Answer by ColorMeCurvy at 8:46 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Thank you for your response. Do you think it would be ok to get a few highlights put in or is too soon?
    Mommyx2BG

Answer by Mommyx2BG at 8:57 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Been there done that- the best thing is to just wash it with clarifying shampoo several times then leave in a conditioner for a while because you have dried it out with the shampoo.There is a color remover at the drug stores too, but that took my hair to this really terrible orange and then I had to recolor, so if the color is only a few shades darker than you want I suggest NOT using that. I don't know about the highlights though.

***I am not a hairdresser- just a very unlucky color-at-homer***

goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 9:06 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Oh, gosh, that use to happen to me all the time. My hair just takes color real well, and soaks it up. Anyways, just wash your hair with a "not colore care shampoo" and it will strt to fade really quick. And as for gettign highlights, i know people that color there hair every week. Just make sure if you do get highlights it is with a hairdresser you know, and knows your hair,and knows what she is doing. Don't forget to tell her that you just put a box color over your hair. If she is good at what she does, she can fix you. Mine can and i have very dark hair. But just to be safe, i wouldn't but another box color on it at home. Those things can comeout with anycolor . Good Luck
    Anonymous

• thanks again ladies. I'm at the salon right now getting a few highlights put in. I learned my lesson....LOL
    Mommyx2BG

Answer by Mommyx2BG at 12:57 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Yep it will lighten a few shades, dark colors always do.There's also some stuff (I forget what it's called) that accents the blonde or the red or the brown in your hair, you can get it at the store near the hair dye.. it's in a small tube. It's like blonde shimmer etc.. they make it for red and brown too.. it's supposed to be like "color care".. maybe you can try that and accent the red a little bit and make it look less flat... (color wise, not style). It will lighten on it's own though, I tried to dye mine blonder, and it turned a slightly orange-ish tint.. it was gone within 2 weeks.

s.teph

Answer by s.teph at 2:55 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• About the highlights.
    If it's too dark a color have them put some caramel colored and blond color highlights just through your mo-hawk (so you get the natural sun kissed look) It will lighten the do, most of the time is has a youthful effect on your appearance as well. If it were me, that's what I do. (along with a couple days prior to the highlights to do the clarifying washes). :)
    ColorMeCurvy

Answer by ColorMeCurvy at 1:29 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Wear a hat!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Apr. 11, 2009