HELP..........our cat wakes us up every morning beginning at 5am or 6am, and sometimes earlier.

We adopted him last Oct. we've been trying to change his ways. This is a nusiance to our family of 5. I can't lock him up, he is loud and you can hear him all over the house. He can't go outside, but this has been worse since it has been warming up. I'm at my wits end and my husband wants him to go back to the shelter, which is a no kill shelter. Any suggestions to help keep him?

Teachermom01

Asked by Teachermom01 at 8:56 AM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Pets

• why can't he go outside? Cats should not be indoor, they were meant to rome the outside world. Outodoor cats are much happier animals & they live longer than indoor cats do.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:05 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• When you adopt the restrictions are clear..............inside only!!!!! They get diseases and fight, and hit by cars.......

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 9:13 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• My cat did that when I had him. He is a new addition and isnt use to you all sleeping? He came from a shelter where he always had a fellow cat to meow to lol right? Maybe when you guys are sleeping he gets bored? Try some interactive toys, catnip, cat grass (its edible grass for kittys) if that doesnt help try designating him a special sleeping spot OR you can always try to foster another cat and see if that settles him. He might be shelter sick (home sick). GL
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 9:24 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• shoot it LOL j/k
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Our cat did that, still does at times. Could it be hunger? We make sure the food dish is full before we go to bed and then he usually leaves us be.
    Best of luck!
    drpepper73

Answer by drpepper73 at 10:00 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Our kitty did this too at first but when he got a little older, we started letting him stay outside a lot more (he wants to go outside) & this has helped tremendously. They just have too much energy to stay inside all the time. But when the weather is too cold or rainy, of course he stays inside. We also started sleeping with our bedroom doors closed & he got the message that way too. Even if our door is open and he comes in around 5 or 6 in the morning, he just lays on our bed and goes back to sleep. Your kitty is still young, so wait a few more months, and I'm sure just getting a little older will solve a lot of your problem!
    madsmom11597

Answer by madsmom11597 at 10:15 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Try being me! I have 13 now!! I Love them All! I've been wanting homes for the 5 mos. old Kittens & now I'm Attached! I know & understand! In my house Most of them some how dislike the other one! Be it mom or Dad or Uncle, Grandpa! Etc.. My cats here are Fixed. Its the Strays here that aren't ,due to finances & us being unemployed! Sorry. I ramble... Anyway.. Make sure he does have Food, Clean Fresh Water, Toys , A scratching post & things to amuze him! Here our last strays DH put s in A Bedroom with the Door closed. They know their routine & follow him in there & he closes the door. They don't come out until around 7am. But that's their routine & they know it. They may get up early but they play together. Yes they wake us up & scratch at the door! Just trial & error.. may figure it out! I hope you find what works! I commend you for loving your Cat! You may figure it out! I bet he's Special! Good Luck!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 10:20 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• "When you adopt the restrictions are clear..............inside only!!!!! They get diseases and fight, and hit by cars......."

Do they come and check on the cat? That sounds a little extreme.

BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 11:51 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I personally think it's unfair to keep an animal inside that wants to go outside so badly! Get them spayed / neutered as soon as you can & it will stop a lot of "roaming". As long as they have a tree to climb or somewhere safe to get, they should be okay during the day but always bring them in at night.
    madsmom11597

Answer by madsmom11597 at 11:57 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I forgot to say that he is declawed in the front (this is how I adopted him). He about 5 years old at this point. I've had a past pet cat get FIV (HIV in the cat world). Since he passed away--and after many vet visits---they all say keep the cats inside. I keep his food bowl to the brim, and he has a bed, and a blanket from the shelter. He is really cool, BUT this issue is making it hard on the entire household because he wakes us all up. No they don't check, but my reasons are very valid for keeping him as an indoor cat.  I am thinking of allowing him in the backyard on a leash.  I'm just asking for help because I don't want to give him back.  I made a commitment, but my whole family comes first. 

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 1:07 PM on Apr. 10, 2009