im having problems breastfeeding...help

well, im breastfeeding my daughter and my milk is trying to dry up and im trying to get the supply back without starving my daughter, any ideas?

roseandsavannah

Asked by roseandsavannah at 9:11 AM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You probably aren't drying up, just establishing your supply. Try to call a lactation specialist if need be. If you can't BF that is fine to. GL.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:13 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Drink a few beers. I'm not kidding........it will make your milk flow. There are some kinds that work better than others, i will find out which one.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:14 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Are you drinking plenty of water for yourself? You need fluids to make fluids. Also there are pills you can take to help boost your milk production but I am unsure of which I made too much milk so never had to worry about it but ask your baby's doctor or your obgyn. Is that all you are having trouble with? Latching good and all that? My son was preemee so we had tons of issues with latching...and my over production was a problem too surprisingly! GL hun
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 9:15 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• How come you think you are drying up? You don't feel as full? She always seems hungry? She's losing weight? Or something else???
    If it's cuz you don't feel full... it's not an idication of how much milk you have, you body gets used to having milk and the full feeling goes away.
    If she seems hungry alot... maybe a growth spurt or just normal feeding. Sometimes they will eat every hour! And it's normal and how you increase your supply.
    If she is losing weight, then maybe you do have troubles with your supply or her latch or something. But if she is otherwise thriving, it's probably not a supply issue.
    From my own experience... if you happen to use a nipple shield try to wean off of it... it had a HUGE impact on my supply. I had a low supply until I got rid or it and poor weight gain... when we got rid of it he gained 4 lbs in a month and I no longer had trouble with my supply.
    The supplement More Milk Plus is helpful too
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:32 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• We def. need more information. Why do you think you are drying up?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:50 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• AmiJanell gave some good information...especially about the not feeling as full. For me, when my babies were around 2 months old is when my body adjusted to the milk and didn't feel as full anymore. The beer worked for me too...but it is the yeast in it that really helps boost your supply. There are different recipes online for drinks that you can add yeast packets to. Fluids are important...I used to set my kitchen timer for an hour and make myself go drink a glass of water every time it went off so I was sure I had enough to drink every day.

You will make as much as you use, so nurse, nurse, nurse and after a day or two you will see a difference in your supply.

Good luck mama!! When you start supplementing it gets dangerous to your supply, so be strong and stick it out!!!
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:51 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• What makes you think you are drying up? We need a bit more information.

Go to the breastfeeding moms group, it is super helpful!

There was also tons of advice given that is great! :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:08 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• The best indication of supply is the number of wet diapers baby has. If she is not having enough wet diapers (can't remember the number, check Kellymom.com), then you may have a supply issue. The best way to increase supply is to nurse, nurse, nurse! Keep baby close at all times, do not limit access to the breast. Co-sleeping is a big help, as is baby wearing. Do not give any bottles or pacis. Make sure you are drinking plenty, eat oatmeal. Do not rely on a pump, poopy diapers, a weight chart or babys attitude to tell you if you are getting enough.
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 10:09 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Beer does not help your milk "flow", this is an old wives tale! Alcohol actually inhibits the let down reflex! Also, you do not need to drink tons of water, the only time fluids is really a factor in supply is if you are really dehydrated. Drink to thirst, eat to hunger. Many moms THINK they have low supply when they don't. the absolute best way to increase supply is to nurse more frequently. Check out some real causes of low milk supply and see if any apply to you at http://www.breastfeed-essentials.com/hindrances.html

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:03 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• When I feel my supply is low I will increase my water intake and eat oatmeal for breaksfast and lunch. Both seem to do the trick. Good luck
    PatriciaofMN

Answer by PatriciaofMN at 12:07 PM on Apr. 10, 2009