Is there other excercises I can do besides crunches to tighten my stomach? I just don't want to kill my back doing them. (that doesn't require other equipment)

amy31308

Asked by amy31308 at 9:22 AM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• crunches shouldn't hurt your back if you do them right
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• dance baby dance! Dancing is so great and fun! I did ballroom (salsa, cha-cah, waltz etc) forever and I've always been a fit skinny minny :). Salsa is easy to do at home with the kids!!!
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 9:25 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• hula hooping. Not kidding. If you hula for 1/2 an hour you will fee the strongest burn in your torso. I have been hula-ing for about a week now. Nothing compares. I'm serious! I will let ya know how my abs turn out. It's also supposed to help shape up womans figures.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:27 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Oh gosh there are like a million ways you can tighten your abs without doing crunch's! I have scoliosis so crunch's hurt my back. I do all my ab workouts on machines at the gym or the ball, but if you don't go to the gym, try hip hop abs. You can youtube it. I downloaded all the video's. The music is kind of cheesy, but it is a good ab workout and you do some cardio too. You can also do exercises like standing up crunch's, where you put your arms behind your head and bring them forward and make the crunch movement with your stomach (kind of hard to explain, but you can see it on hip hop abs). You can also, put one hand on your hip and put the other one in the air and then bring it down and bring the leg up at the same time to meet in the middle (hard to explain again). Or get down on all 4s and kick your back leg out and bring it to the side then back down in like a circle motion. Just google different ab workouts
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 9:37 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• cont.
    and you will find so many. GL!
    ABPeterson

• stand up, do knee lifts and each time a knee comes up touch your opposite elbow to that knee. Standing crunches.
    drpepper73

Answer by drpepper73 at 10:04 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• You need to do a balanced exercise that strengthens your back and abs. The ones I like the best work your obliques and lower abs-- lay on your back with your legs straight, and lift them off the ground in a slow, steady motion. Bring them back down in a slow, steady motion, too.

For the obliques-- sit with your knees bent in front of your, feet flat. Lean back a little, and with your hands held in front of your (elbows straight), gently twist to the each side for 15 reps.

Good luck!
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 10:52 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• i just unlocked the advanced hula hoop on my WII Fit. And MAN my tummy is SORE today! Such a good workout! Samurai Chica is right! Also. You can stand it place and do punches, punch your right arm as far left as you can and your left as far right, and doing it fast really works the tummy! Bob Harper does this move on the biggest loser workout DVD
    ClvDandJ

Answer by ClvDandJ at 11:40 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I went to school for massage therapy, and I can tell you that you are either not doing them right, or you don't have good back muscles...... In which case, the best way to strengthen your back it to actually tighten your abs. try it out and let me know if i helped at all.. I agree with dancing by the way hiking and walking, but you HAVE to have your belly tightened in order for it to work.
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 3:33 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• And with all the advice above, #1 recommendation in your efforts. FRIED FOODS are the one enemy of excess stomach tissue. And I mean ANYTHING fried.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:58 AM on Apr. 11, 2009