Not sure what it could be...

My 10 month old son has diarrhea and a low grade fever. The reason I'm puzzled as to what it is, is because the fever has pretty much gone away..and the diarrhea is still here, going on day 4. It's not even constant diarrhea either, it's 2x a day...and he has reg poop too. So in total he has about 3 bowel movements a day, rather then his 1 or 2 usual ones. He's acting like himself, he's not acting sick..he was the first 2 day's but now on the 4th day he's totally himself except for the explosive diarrhea..I don't get it, could this just be a reg viral infection? Any other mom's out there end up with the same illness over this winter? The first day he did kinda throw up 2x too..nothing too bad, but it was more then spit up. I'm taking him the Doc if it's persists past the next 2 day's because I heard it take a viral infection up to 7 day's or so to run it's course. He still eats and drinks the same too.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:28 AM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sounds viral and his body is taking care of it. You're doing great. If he is acting like he's fine then he feels he is fine. Pay attention to how he acts. If he is sluggish from a fever then he doesn't feel so great. Sounds like he is over the worst of it and it has a few more days to go to run it's course. If it was runny poop all day long then that's no good. Give him pedialyte to help keeps him hydrated and give him the proper electrolytes he needs.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 11:11 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• my dd acted like that when she had the flu
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:35 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• my dd is about 10 months and when she got her diarrhea(like your sons) she had her ususal checkup and the doc said its just a bug. she's not cranky or really dehydrated but keep an eye on how much he gets to make sure he's hydrated. GL
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 10:51 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Try taking him off milk for a week or so...whenever the little ones get sick, it takes their bodies a little while to build their immune systems back up and the bacteria in milk will keep the runs coming....It won't hurt him to give him Gatorade, juice, or pedialite in his bottles for a short time.....just don't let it continue more than a week or two until he is feeling much better. (You don't want to ruin his teeth in the process...lol)
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 11:38 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Sounds like I'm doing thing's right lol, he had some pablum this morning ( my hubby did it lol) and that made the diarrhea come back more, now he's ok though. I was giving him just oat meal. He's had watered down apple juice today, water, and his bottle (formula) I think the worst of it is over as said above. THANKS for the advice and opinions ladies!!!

HAVE A GREAT DAY.
    Anonymous