I think I just peed myself.

My one and a half year old was standing behind me eating his breakfast (some all natural cookies Grandma sent), when all of a sudden he walks around to the front of me gagging, his face all red. so I did a quick finger sweep to find he had lodged a chunk of cookie down the back of his throat and got it out. he looked about as freaked out as I was.

He is fine and breathing and back to his usual self.. other than the fact that he is now walking around "mimicking" and fake gagging then sticking his own fingers down his throat. should I take him to the doctors?

MythicMMM

Asked by MythicMMM at 9:28 AM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I wouldn't but I know how scary that must have been. When he "gags", he is recalling the incident in him mind, basically telling the story over & over in his own way. Our LO got several stickers in his foot at the park a month ago. (Tried to tell him to wear his shoes...) so now, SEVERAL times a day, he grabs his foot, looks at the bottom, and says "Ow, boot" (Translation: Ow, Foot) He's just telling it again. :)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 11:32 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• No, I think he is okay. However, no more cookies!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• why would you take him to the doctor if he's just mimicking you?
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 9:30 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• No he is perfectly fine, but next chance you can get (when he is yawning or screaming) check his throat for swelling or redness.. Dont give him anymore cookies! Try them again in a month or so. MY son has choked many times on "new" things...just what they do cause they are learning. It is scary and scares them but be sure you know how to take it to the next step if needed too! Good job mommy for helping him and keeping cool Let him know he's ok and not to play about it. When he does it tell him no no thats ouchy!
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 9:32 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I'm glad he's ok. Something about your reaction must have made him giggle or he wouldn't be mimicking you. There will be many, many more times that he'll scare you in one way or another. He's ok.
    sherriet

Answer by sherriet at 9:58 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• HE WILL BE FINE, BUT WHAT A SCARE THAT MUST HAVE BEEN!

Answer by older at 10:48 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Nope, he's fine now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Apr. 10, 2009

• ah, well that explains also why he says "owww" and wants me to kiss his long healed boo boo on his hand. thank you for solving Two mystery's doodlebopfan!
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 4:04 PM on Apr. 10, 2009